Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

My 2007 GMC Canyon, 4 cyl. pickup will run good like normal,

Customer Question

My 2007 GMC Canyon, 4 cyl. pickup will run good like normal, start normal, than you turn it off to run in some where come out and it wont start. Its turning over like it always does but just wont start. Wait 10 or 15 min. Starts back up like normal. I could go 2 weeks and it not happen again or go out it not start or run down the road drive and motor sound normal trn it off and it happen again. It has 35,000 mls. on it thats it. Battery 2 weeks old. standerd shift.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 months ago.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Tim's Auto Repair :

are you there?

Customer:

no engine light at all no warning at all. no funny noises. the switch the batterry start up every thing is normal . like I said so far you can then wait a few min. and it starts

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

does it always start when the engine is cold?

Customer:

yes always it could be amonth or it could do this today after driving it all day with turning the truck on and off all day long

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok..sense the engine light doesnt stay on..and there are no codes

Tim's Auto Repair :

i think your problem may be the crank sensor

Customer:

I should say starting the truck all day long

Tim's Auto Repair :

the crank sensor will do this when they go bad,,and,most times not give a code for it

Tim's Auto Repair :

when the crank sensor does this and the problem is intermediate,,testing it may not help

Tim's Auto Repair :

you will just need to replace it

Tim's Auto Repair :

Engine Controls Component Views

Engine Controls Components 2 of 5

88_gc-1368502.png
Full Size Image

1 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
2 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid
3 - Knock Sensor
4 - Starter
5 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
6 - G102
7 - G103
8 - G101
9 - A/C Compressor Clutch (C60)
10 - Engine Block Heater
11 - Generator

Tim's Auto Repair :

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

09_gc-1350744.png
Full Size Image

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
2. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (3) from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor (1).

58_gc-858202.png
Full Size Image

3. Remove the CKP sensor bolt.
4. Remove the CKP sensor from the engine block.
Discard the O-ring seals.

Installation Procedure

1. Install new O-ring seals to the CKP sensor.
2. Lightly lubricate the O-ring seals with clean engine oil.

58_gc-858202.png
Full Size Image

3. Install the CKP sensor into the engine block.
4. Add sealer GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480) to the CKP sensor bolt threads.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

5. Install the CKP sensor bolt.

Tighten the bolt to 10 N.m (89 lb in).

09_gc-1350744.png
Full Size Image

6. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (3) to the CKP sensor (1).
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Perform the crankshaft (CKP) system variation learn procedure.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor

12588097$49.68

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor

B0.41.5
Customer:

ok some one else said something similar sounds reasonable

Tim's Auto Repair :

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn

Important: The crankshaft position (CKP) system variation learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:

* Engine replacement

* ECM replacement

* ECM reprogramming

* Crankshaft damper replacement

* Crankshaft replacement

* CKP sensor replacement

* Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

Important: The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the CKP system variation learn procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

* CKP sensor activity-If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

* Camshaft position (CMP) signal activity-If there is a CMP signal condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

* Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the engine control module (ECM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
3. With a scan tool, select the CKP system variation learn procedure within the Special Functions menu and perform the following:

1. Observe the fuel cut-off for the applicable engine.
2. Block the drive wheels.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Place the vehicle's transmission in Park or Neutral.
5. Turn the air conditioning (A/C) OFF.
6. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
7. Apply and hold the brake pedal for the duration of the procedure.
8. Start and idle the engine.
9. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT). The engine should not accelerate beyond the calibrated fuel cut-off RPM value noted in step 3.1. Release the throttle immediately if the value is exceeded.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

10. Release the throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.

4. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this Ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315. If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
5. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.

Tim's Auto Repair :

yes,,,from the way you explain

Tim's Auto Repair :

this seems to be the problem

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer:

hold on i am trying to print

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

you really dont need to print

Tim's Auto Repair :

i will leave this on here

Tim's Auto Repair :

you can just sign in and go to this question to view

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.