Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Porsche Boxster: 1999 Boxster 986 alarm horn sounds when hard

1999 Boxster 986 alarm horn sounds when hard braking any thoughts on wHy?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this is the regular horn that is sounding (the same horn that sounds when using the horn pad) in allot of cases I find that the horn pad itself on the steering wheel can retract over time and cause this type of fault.As it retracts or shrinks over time the contacts in the horn pad become close to each other which can cause the horn to go off like this here or in some cases even when slightly touching the horn pad or steering wheel.

This may also be an internal electrical fault in the horn relay itself as I have seen the contacts in this relay fail and cause this as well.

There are some checks/testing that can be done to isolate the fault,if you have a multi meter for testing electrical let me know and we can do some checks here to see if we can locate the fault.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the follow-up. With your information in mind I took my Porsche to an auto repair garage and advised them of the possible problem as you diagnosed. They in fact confirmed the horn ring as worn out and it was replaced curing the problem. You are the expert, thanks again.
Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete