Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Saab 9-3 SE: I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 with 111k on it. The car

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 with 111k on it. The car won't start with hot engine. It seems that the car overheats when driving even short distances which resulted in discoloration of the paint on the hood, but the engine temperature gauge works normal. Sometimes the car does not start after previous ride after 5 mins, sometimes it is  up to couple hours. I am able to start it only when I use the quick starting fluid. There is no problem when the engine is cold. 

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If your engine temperature gage is reading properly and the engine temperature is running at normal temperature most likely the heat from the outside ambient temperature and sun is the cause for the paint issue on the hood itself.In some cases I have seen to where a missing heat shield from the exhaust manifold itself can cause this fault here or a lean running engine causing the manifold to become hot.

If the vehicle starts right up and runs properly with starting fluid to help start it when this occurs this sounds like weak fuel pressure to the engine itself causing this.I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if this is the case here.This is done with a fuel pressure test gage.If the pressure is found to be weak/low when the fault occurs then I suspect the fuel pump itself is at fault or a restricted fuel filter.If you need fuel pressure specifications on this model let me know.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the response. Yes, please send me the fuel pressure specifications for my 2002 Saab 9-3 SE 2.0.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome.Your fuel pressure should be 43 psi with the key on.It shouldn't be any lower then this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks. Just one more question, plz. Can my car have rough idle or nearly stalling due to a restricted fuel filter?

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Yes,if the fuel filter is restricted it can in some cases cause a no start or rough start,rough engine running due to lack of fuel pressure or fuel volume as well as a stall out or near stall out issue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Do you know by any chance where is fuel filter located on my car?

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately my info isn't listing the location of this filter on this model,usually it is under the vehicle near the fuel tank and should have a fuel line leading into it and one leading out.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I forgot to tell you that since May 2013 the check engine light (P1312 code) would turn on and then 1-2 days later turn off by itself. That has happened several times since then.

So I replaced the fuel filter on Thursday and I drove 30+miles on Friday.

The check engine light was on on Friday but turned off on Saturday.

Also, it is still cranking for several seconds before turning on just like it did before replacing the fuel filter. So it seems that replacing the fuel filter did not change much, however it fixed the rough idle.

Do you have any ideas if this is related to the original problem?

Thank you!

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Does the engine run rough when this code sets?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No, I did not notice any difference.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
This code will set when a combustion/misfire fault for cylinders 1 and 2 occur.This may be due to a faulty ignition control/discharge module which is located above your spark plugs.Inspect the wiring and wiring connections at the ignition module located above your spark plugs and jiggle the wiring harness on the engine with the engine running and let me know if the engine misfires/runs rough when this occurs.