C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Stalling Nissan 200SX

I have a '98 Nissan 200SX. It stalls when I am slowing down or stopped at a red light. It also tries to down shift gears on me when I am traveling in fifth gear on the freeway. It also jerks sometimes while I am driving it in any gear (my foot is not on the clutch). It is a manual transmission. What is wrong with it?

I suspect you have a dirty or faulty Idle air control valve. I would suggest removing the IAC and cleaning it. If this does not help replacement will be needed. I have loaded images of the location. I would also check for vacuum leaks. This can be done using some brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Spray it around the intake area if the engine starts going up and down than that is the location of the leak.

http://www.4shared.com/office/hubmqpy6/idlevalvenissan.html

Thanks.