EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

Hyundai Sonata: I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3. NTB installed

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3. NTB installed the battery backwards and those problems were fixed by the dealership. NTB disabled the shift interlock so that I could get it to the dealership the following week. They check engine light had been coming on and going off for quite a while prior to my experience with NTB. The dealership said that the code was because of the catalytic converters, reset it, and said to bring it back of it came on again. It did come back on, but I didn't notice any change in performance/driving. This past weekend, within a 10 mile stretch, it went from fine I to completely no power and stuttering if I tried to drive it and stuttering if I revved the engine above idle. I had it towed to a Goodyear repair center, and they have stated that both front cats are bad and when they pulled the o2 sensors it would rev normally, which is how they determined the cats are bad. My question is, does this sound legitimate. The cats are very expensive and I don't want to spend the money and it not be the problem.
Hi. It is a legitimate way to check for a plugged up cat, by removing the o2 sensors. It allows for exhaust to bypass the cat and escape out the o2 sensor hole. And if the vehicle runs better, then the cat(s) are plugged. Please let me know if you would like more info on this. Thanks, Eric