Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Suzuki XL7: got a 2007 Suzuki XL7 2wd with the 3.6L. It had

got a 2007 Suzuki XL7 2wd with the 3.6L. It had a bad cat on the front bank(loose brick). replaced both the front and rear cats with these from rock auto EASTERN CATALYTIC Part # XXXXX EASTERN CATALYTIC Part # XXXXX Replaced the spark plugs with Denso PTV16TT Platinum TT Spark Plug. now comes the problem when you acel with the vehicle getting a rattle, chirping sound from the engine almost sounds like a bad belt tensioner but not quite and the vehicle is not accelerating like normal. It does not have the original engine in it. It was changed supposedly about 3 years ago with a 3.6l out of a Cadillac and had the oil pump replaced about a year ago. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since the catalytic converters were replaced on this model the first thing I would do to make sure you don't have a restricted new catalytic converter is to have an exhaust back pressure test done on the exhaust system.

I have seen in some cases where a new catalytic converter was built poorly and had an internal restriction and caused this type of fault here.

If this has been done or is done and the fault is still present let me know and we can continue from there.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, making up a tester to go into the 02 sockets now, looking for about 9kpa at idle and 20kpa at 2500rpm?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I would think nothing over 11 kpa at any rpm is o.k. as most vehicles are set up to not exceed 1.5 psi or around 11 kpa at any rpm.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she had right around 6-8 kpa at both B1, B2, S2 locations. No DTCs present active or in history before I removed the O2s for the back pressure test.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked for any vacuum leaks on the engine with possible loose vacuum hoses or anything that may have been bumped loose or disconnected when the repairs were done previously that may have accidentally been left disconnected?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked and no vacuum leaks are present, it makes the noise the loudest under mild acel minimal to none under idle conditions, ac being on or off does not effect it,

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Just to be sure this wasn't a problem on your vehicle until after the catalytic converter and spark plugs were replaced or was this an issue before these were replaced as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was an issue before, but became more pronounced after the cats where replaced.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Is the noise you hear a noise that may be coming from the timing chain/belt area possibly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could be, i have yet been able to get it to make the noise when I could get the hood up and listen to it.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you can duplicate the noise and the noise is coming from the timing chain/belt area this may be a fault with the timing components being worn causing the noise and the fault here with the engine operation as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking along those lines, was trying eliminate any other options before I write up a $5-600 job then have it still make the noise after wards

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately if the noise is found to be coming from this area on the engine this is where I suspect the problem may be or at least you know there is an issue in the timing components that at least needs checked to see if this is the entire fault all the way around.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete