Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

2007 Mariner with 208,000 miles. I have oil changed every 3,000 miles, have done all main

2007 Mariner with 208,000 miles. I have oil changed every 3,000 miles, have done all maintainence as needed or suggested and am on my third transmission but first engine.Now when I step on the gas the car is really loud, going forward, backward or accelerating. Once I get to a consistent speed 40mph, 70mph... the noise is much much less, but I think the car is still louder than it used to be. What's maybe wrong? Should I start checking out new cars or try to fix?

what type of noise - metallic tapping, deep knocking, metallic clicking noise, or some other noise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Really loud "racing" type noise. Car sound like when "souped-up" car is stopped at a light and it is really loud as it pulls away when light changes

So, more a loud exhaust noise, correct?

You dont hear any tapping, clicking, or knocking noise in the engine compartment, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a loud exhaust noise. But if I standnext to the car while it is idling, I hear a really .fast put,put,put,put,put,put...noise

Ok, this is an exhaust leak, either at the exhaust manifold or in one of the exhaust pipes, connections or muffler. If noise is at front of vehicle, then either the exhaust manifold or the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe connection. If further back, then either an exhaust pipe or muffler.

This needs to go up on a lift to find source of leak and then repair. Repair cost will run from under a $100 for an exhaust gasket or crack that can be welded, up to around $500 for exhaust manifold gasket.

I would not consider this reason to trade in or sell the vehicle as there is no engine or transmission problem
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.