Gaz Robinson
Gaz Robinson, Auto mechanic and MOT Tester
Experience:  18 years knowledge of the MOT test and general automotive skills.
11179493

car over revving cant get up to speed, very slow on hills

car over revving can't get up to speed, very slow on hills.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gaz Robinson replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you very much for your question.

Please can you confirm that your Jimny has a manual gearbox?

Regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Thank you for your reply.

From your description it would appear that your clutch is worn and is slipping. If the clutch is cable operated you may be able to have it adjusted, but if it's been slipping for a while, it will probably be worn beyond repair.

If it is a hydraulic clutch, then the only option is replacement.

The more the clutch slips, the worse the problem will get, until you lose all drive completely. To try and make the clutch last a little longer, you need to try and avoid making it slip. You can do this by avoiding harsh acceleration by applying only light pressure on the accelerator.

Replacing the clutch is quite a large job, as the gearbox has to be removed, so I would suggest getting a few quotes.

You should make sure that the garage replaces the complete clutch assembly, that is the cover, clutch plate and bearing.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Gary.
Experience: 18 years knowledge of the MOT test and general automotive skills.
Hi Glenis.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your Jimny is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.