Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Isuzu Rodeo: Hello, I just purchased a 99 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 with

Hello, I just purchased a 99 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 with 130,000 miles from my 74 yr father. It has been well taken care of oil changes ect. Before buying it my father said it had what I would describe as a knocking noise that can be heard with windows closed no air on. We thought it could be wheel bearing noise on driver side front however I have changed that and not solved the problem. Inspected caliper, pads nothing ..inspected front suspension nothing noted. When you start the engine it runs smooth no notable noise. Upon driving engine is quiet nothing detected in steering at approx 2500rpm and you begin to hear the knock or almost slap that seems to comes from lower left front it seems to increase with speed and not rpm however when you decelerate it seems to become louder...punch the gas no notable noise...let off rpm steady noise. The timing belt and tensioner has not been replaced since new 2x overdue the recommended 60,000. I have read on different forums that a failing tensioner can be mistaken for rod knock however this noise does not seem to be consistent with rod knock as i know it. i have looked at the wheels tires all seems fine. I am at a total loss on the cause of this..sorry so long any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light coming on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the check engine has been on for awhile according to previous owner

Ok the noise that you are describing is consistent with the timing belt have slack and or the timing belt tensioner starting to get weak allowing the timing belt to become loose at times. There is likely a code stored for the camshaft out of correlation. What I would suggest is to have the codes read and the timing belt checked as a first step.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have ordered a code reader along with a timing belt kit and believe this noise is consistent with the timing belt needing replaced at 130,000 given it should have been replaced at 60,000...otherwise while sitting at idle or rev it remains running smooth so hopefully no internal damage done. Although the question remains if the noise will stop after timing belt replacement? thank you for your response.

Yes I do believe the noise will be gone after the timing belt is replaced. I have seen this issue before with this vehicle.