sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

lincoln towncar: There is a constant noise (creaking sound)

There is a constant noise (creaking sound) coming from under the passenger side dash board near the floor. To me it sounds like an A/C vent door trying to open only partially then closing because it can't. This happens continuously but at the same time doesn't seem to effect the air direction or control - to me that's confusing. I would think if it were a vent door issue the air flow wouldn't direct correctly unless it was a vent for outside air or something. In other words if I press the button for upper vent, floor vent, max a/c, etc the air still seems to get directed into the correct vents.

I had an issue with vent doors years ago on a different Lincoln and it turned out to be a vacuum leak preventing the doors from fully opening. It sounds the same to listen to, as at that time.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you aren't having trouble with changing temperature or mode then most likely you are hearing the recirculation door actuator. The recirc door is the door that opens and closes to allow the heater box to draw air from inside or outside the car.

The problem could be the actuator itself, the door could be broken or it could be physically stuck.

The recirc door can be accessed through the glovebox opening. The first thing I would recommend is dropping the glovebox down and inspect the door to see if it's broken. If not then you can remove the actuator and move the door by hand to see if it is stuck or possibly isn't able to go to full travel in each direction.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you - I'll check that out first

You're welcome!