Eric N
Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

Would the tran lite if you accidently put it in third gear..automatic..

Would the tran lite if you accidently put it in third gear..automatic.. Then put it in drive and it stopped flashing
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric N replied 12 months ago.

Eric :

Hi. What kind of car is this? Make, model, engine size? Thanks, Eric

Customer: 2003 Isuzu rodeo s auto trans 6 ...inthink
Eric :

What exactly happened when you put it in 3rd?

Eric :

And does the trans seem to work fine now?

Customer: Turned the car on thought I was in drive saw trans lite flashing noticed I was in third switched to drive immediately lite went out ..drove around a while seems ok ...checked fluid fine...was this just a warning about being in the wrong gear?.
Customer: Yes
Eric :

Yes essentially. It flashes the light to let you know you are in 3rd gear. That is because in 3rd gear the overdrive does not come on. And if you were to drive on the highway in 3rd gear it would burn up the trans.

Customer: Rjp
Eric :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: Did not gat my answer
Customer: Did not get my answer
Eric :

Yes essentially what you stated is correct. . It flashes the light to let you know you are in 3rd gear. That is because in 3rd gear the overdrive does not come on. And if you were to drive on the highway in 3rd gear it would burn up the trans.

Customer: Thanks so it was just a warning
Eric :

Yes. As long as it drives fine now, which I would think it would, then I wouldn't be worried and the trans is fine.

Customer: Thanks
Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience