George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

suzuki Vitara: How do I replace the outboard rubber boot over

How do I replace the outboard rubber boot over the CV joint on the passenger side of my 2001 Vitara 2 liter, automaticXXXXX

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is the front wheel?

You will need to remove the hub nut, separate the lower ball joint so you can remove the axle from the hub. Once the axle is free of the hub remove the INBOARD boot clamps and pull the tripod joint out of the shell. Remove the snap ring from the tripod joint and slide the bearing off the shaft. Now you can slide both boots off the shaft and replace the outer. Be sure to pack the joints with new CV joint grease before you seal the boots with new band clamps.

The cost of doing just the boot is about $50 for about $75 you can have a new axle assembly and it is quicker to replace the whole assembly than to replace the boots. If the boot has been open for any length of time there is dirt and grit in the joint. The joint should be disassembled and cleaned before greasing if that is the case.

Please let me know how i can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you provide a blow up graphic with parts named?

I will see what Suzuki produced and post it for you.

The service procedure is below, look this over and let me know how I can help you with this

Click here for procedure

Thank you