Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Saab 9-5: Hello! My car starts and then shuts right off.

Hello! My car starts and then shuts right off. Its a 1999 Saab 9-5 and the key was bad so we replaced the cylinder. We still have the key with the chip and that still goes into the chip ring. With this we can at least start it, and if we unplug the battery and plug it back in then it will start again but then shuts right off. Any suggestions?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Just so I am hearing this correctly are you still using your original key that came with the vehicle to start the vehicle or are you using a cut key without the security chip?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete, actually the answer is both. The original key has to go in the ring where the chip is. and the new key and cylinder have no chip.

Are you able to obtain the correct key for this model that has the chip or was this an after market cylinder that isn't necessarily for this vehicle that was installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son bought it on ebay and installed it. It does work to start the car. it just won't stay running. It was for either 9-3 or 9-5.

O.k.,the security system needs to be relearned on your vehicle as this should correct this fault here.With the start and stall issue this usually indicates the security system is engaged as it will cut fuel to the injectors.

The relearn usually needs done by a dealer with their diagnostic tool to perform the correct programming needed.I would start with this as it should correct the problem here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So bring it to a dealer is the best advice you can give me?

Unfortunately the programming sounds like it needs to be performed since this component was replaced and this usually requires being done by a dealer with their diagnostic tool/computer.

If you want I can opt out and put this back on the list to see if others can assist more as this is the only thing I can think of that has occurred as well as what needs done to resolve it.

Let me know if this is what you want to do,thanks Pete.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think anyone can help me. I guess I will have to take it to a dealer. I hope it won't cost too much. Thanks pete for all your help. Bev

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really have no idea how to rate your expertise, I'm not sure if I just dont like your answer as I can't afford to have a dealer help. I will any way yoiu think is best. Just let me know. Bev

You can rate my help above if you like,I appreciate anything from an o.k. to excellent rating and if you feel you want to rate lower let me know and I can put this question back on the list so others can see if they can help more.I wish I had more info on this here for you.

Thanks Pete