Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

oldsmobile intrigue: I am working on a 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue.

Customer Question

I am working on a 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue. The trans shifting hard. And was not downshifting properly. Like the tcc was sticking on. Also the car would die sometimes when put in gear. A local trans mechanic said it needed some updates. So since I know him and I run a small garage n the same town he told me to pull it out and he would do the updates. Like new tcc, pwm, switches. Updated clutch hub. New torque converter. And maybe a few more things. And it done fine for a while. Like a month and a half. Now its started to do some of the same things. Like die when put in gear. Erratic Shifting up hill. And some times when u stop on hill and try to take back off it is like it kicks n neutral then when gas is given it kicks n hard. No codes present. Before it had maximum adapt and long shift. But nothing now. What can I do to solve this? He doesn't want to pull it out and neither do I but I really need to fix it! Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Hello I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

This is an info request, it is not an answer. This is a generic response, I send out to customers that have been waiting an excessive amount on us techs to help them (you) out. First off before I go into detail in an answer or an info request. I need to know, do you still need help? I realize you have been waiting a while and in some cases customers had to seek help elsewhere and or they solved the concern on there own. I and the website are sorry you had to wait, we do want to earn your business and have you log off with a great experience.

If you still need help, please make sure you included the year, make, model, trim level, and engine liter size. Also please let me know of any repairs or diagnostic steps you have done so far. Also let me know your skill level so I can tailor my response to fit your needs.

I work the evening shift, so that is when I will respond, I have to address all waiters in order, so there may be some delay in my responses, but I promise I will do my best to help in a timely matter. Please do not relist, since that will remove you from my waiter list and I will have no clue you still need help.

Thanks Chris.

>

>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks Chris! Yes I still need help. Its a 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue. GL. With a 3.5 engine. I am not sure how to answer u the skill level. Lol! I have worked on veh for 10 years. I am 30 now. I have access to a fair supply of diag equip. If u would just tell me what to check for and how I think I can follow! So I will pray on this end. I am sure the Lord will help us.

Are there any trouble codes stored?

When it is not downshifting have you used a scan tool to monitor the computer to see if a downshift command has been sent but the transaxle is not performing this shift?

Does it stall going into drive and reverse?

Are these cold trans or operating temp trans concerns?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have not hooked it up yet and watched to see what happens during shift. She has taken the veh to Ohio to c her family that are sick. So I should b able to check first of the week. Although she says the driving concerns have stopped. The issue the engine lunging when put in gear is still happening. In rev and forward, cold or hot. Thanks chris

Get back with me once you get a chance to work on the vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

this issue has fixed itself. for now anyway. can I follow up later on if it starts acting up again? also how do I rate u so u can get paid?

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

You can reply at anytime on this post as well as you can rate this post. I work every evening so just reply when help is needed. Have a great night.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hello Chris! This vehicle is acting up again. I was wondering if you could guide me through what to look for? On the scanner what do i watch for? I really want to try to fix this concern. I feel you could be a great help to me on this! thanks again!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

hello Chris! If you are too busy to work with me just let me know and I redirect this question! It would no problem! Just need some help! Thanks!

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

The web site does require a new post be opened for concerns beyond 7 days.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

so will I have to pay again?

Yes you will have to pay for the questions asked and answered.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

but I was told in our conversation to wait until I was working on the car then get in touch with you. And that is what I have done several times in the past. With this same website! All of them mechanic questions. They were intermittent concerns with the vehicles! Some times it was a month before I could reply! And I never had to pay twice with any of them! This seems to be different!

Are you having the exact same issue you originally had?

If so I need these answered.

Are there any trouble codes stored?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

yes same issues! I am checking it now. Test driving and going to hook up to scan tool. Will a actron code scanner plus from advance auto parts be able to do what we need to do?

I have never used that scan tool, you can try it though
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

P0730

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

thanks for help! Strange story! I am here in KY and we have some ice right now! The garage I work out of is on a hill! And I can't get the car off to test drive right now. Going to try tomorrow.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

hello Chris! I have gotten the veh off the hill. I have it hooked up to a Snap-On Verus. There is no stall n drive or reverse now. The trouble is when it gets to operating temp. What pids should I look at on the scanner? The trans will shift out fine. Then after its in over drive. When given the gas it begins to slip. The only way to make it stop slipping is to slow down and manually shift into drive. Then it will start pulling again. Once the slipping begins in OD, if I try to just slow down enough to shift into drive to go on it even slips some in drive before going on. Thanks for your patience Chris.

When it slips are the rpms running up really high but speed is barely increasing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

yes. And I noticed the TCC solenoid is showing on all the time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

also it doesn't slip all the time.

There are no pids that need to be monitored if this is what is occurring, this concern overdrive is not holding from a failed clutch. The trans will need to be removed and overhauled.