ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic

Bentley GTC: My fathers friend has a 2009 Bentely GTC (convertible)

Customer Question

My fathers friend has a 2009 Bentely GTC (convertible) with both batteries dead. It is said to remove the right read seat cushion but, on this model, the whole rear bottom seat comes out as one piece. It seems that the the only way to get the top part of back seat off is to remove the female seat belt latches.

I've have also read that, with a strong suction cup, you can remove rear taillights and charge batteries that way?
Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Master Tech 35yrs replied 10 months ago.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Glad to be of help. Yes but there is an easier way.

An easy way to jump your car is through the cigarette lighter.

Get a starter pack that plugs into your cig lighter or your accessory power outlet. This will give you power to get into trunk.

All Bentley's come with a factory battery tender affixed to the main battery in the rear trunk on the drivers side. All you do is take off the little panel and there is a plug to plug your car into the outlet. Bang good to go. If your car does not have a tender I would highly recommend a C-Tek.

Forum link

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/165659-anyone-use-battery-charger-their-bentley.html

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Removing the back seat gives you access to the manual release lever to trunk, don't bother trying to remove rear tail lights, your wasting your time.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Starter packs are available at walmart.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The owner of the bentely has just returned and I have hooked up a cigerette lighter charger. Will not charge. I assume the key has to be on but since it is digital, I assume, it will not engage.

Now you told me to remove the rear seat by you did not answer my question I originally wrote as to how. So please explain as to how from my original question
Key must be off and all doors closed accessories off while charging for at least 1 hour.

Method 1
Do not use the start button. Put a battery charger into the
two cigar lighter sockets for at least 1 hour at max 10 amp with ignition turned off, closed doors to switch all courtesy lights off and then there will be enough for the trunk lock to energize.

Method 2

1- open the front hood 2- on the driver side of the hood in
front of the fuse box there is a little box with an X on it, open it, (it has
clips on the side of the cover) that's the positive from the battery, hook up
the positive jumper wire to it 3- hook up ground wire anywhere on the frame of
the car 4- turn the car on!

Method 3

Reach in the little cubby hole in the middle of the rear
seat with something long so you can reach the trunk release handle. You pull down the center armrest in the rear
seat and then use the key to open the access door into the trunk. You will then
need a broom handle or something to stick in and pull down on the emergency
release.

Method 4

There should be a red "+" point under the hood.
Connect jumper leads or a booster pack to this point and a good earth point on
the chassis or engine block and use the remote key fob to open the trunk.

Since your question is how to remove rear seat, here is how:

For bottom cushion,
You just pull up, and out.

See: Front
and rear seats - The
Rolls-Royce and Bentley
Technical Library

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/renegade_rebel/media/bent.jpg.html#/user/renegade_rebel/media/bent.jpg.html?&_suid=137902441713106508714111923681

Rear seat cushion - To remove and fit

(see fig. S1 3-3)

1. The rear seat cushion is simply wedged into

position in the seat pan and can be removed by raising

the front edge and pulling clear of the seat squab.
To fit

the cushion reverse the removal operation.

Rear seat squab - To remove and fit

Other than Bentley Turbo R (see fig. S1 3-3)

1. Remove the rear seat cushion.

2. Lift and remove the head rests.

3. Unclip and remove the seat belt reel covers

situated on the parcel shelf.

4. Remove the self-tapping screws securing the lower

corners of the squab (item 1).

5. Lower the centre arm rest and manaeuvre the

trimmed flap clear of the retaining plate (item 2).

6. Remove the two exposed bolts. spacing washers.

and tapping plates (item 3).

7. Lift the bottom of the squab slightly sliding the
top

towards the rear window to disengage the retaining

brackets (item 4). Slide the seat belt webbing off the

sides of the squab. On cars fitted with a cellular

telephone, disconnect the battery then release the
plug

and socket (item 5). Carefully remove the squab from

the car.

8. To fit the squab reverse the removal procedure.

Rear seat squab - To remove and fit

Bentley Turbo R (see fig. S1 3-4)

1 . Remove the rear seat cushion.

2. Remove the self-tapping screws securing the
lower

corners of the squab (item 1).

3. Lower the centre arm rest and maneuver the

4. Remove the two exposed bolts, spacing washers.

and tapping plates (item 3).

5. Lift the bottom of the squab slightly sliding the top

brackets (item 4). Ease the squab forward
to gain

access to the finishing trim outer securing setscrews

(item 5). Remove the setscrews to allow the seat
belt

webbing to be slid off the sides of the squab. On cars

fitted with a cellular telephone, disconnect the battery

then release the plug and socket (item 6).
Carefully

remove the squab assembly from the car.

6. To fit the squab reverse the removal procedure.

Centre am rest - To remove and fit (see fig. S1 3-3)

1. Remove the four bolts and washers (item 6)

securing the arm rest to the squab panel. On cars fitted

with a cellular telephone, disconnect the battery then

release the plug and socket (item 51. Remove
the arm

rest.

2. To fit the arm rest reverse the removal operation.

Rear seat head rest - To remove and fit

Bently Turbo R {see fig. S 1 3-4)

1. Release the rear seat squab.

2. Ease the squab forward and locate the spring clips

retaining the head rest support legs (item 71. Withdraw

the clips, then lift and remove the head rest.

3. To fit the head rest reverse the removal procedure.

Retractable rear seat belt -To remove (see fig.
S14-3)

1. Lift out the rear seat cushion.

2. Remove the rear head rests.

3. To gain access to the seat belt anchorage bolts, it

will be necessary to release the bottom of the rear

seat squab tsee Section S13).

4. Removerhe exposed anchorage bolts and

washers (item l) then release the seat belt and stalk.

5. Unclip and remove the seat belt trim covers

(item 2).

6. Release the anchorage bolt and washers (item 3)

securing the reel mechanism to the parcel shelf.

Release the webbing from the seat belt guide noting

that on cars conforming to an Australian specification

a plastic sleeve will first have to be removed from
the

guide. Remove the reel mechanism assembly.

Forum link

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-1039831.html

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I took a few pictures. Maybe this will help.

http://s556.photobucket.com/user/HMFIC/library/GTC

Ok, it appears you have a bigger problem. That is the trunk release lever in the picture.

graphic

Try pushing it down as far as you can. It may not be down all the way. If you have no luck with this or with charging through cigarette lighter your last resort is through rear tail lights. Remove the tail lights by removing three screws through the frank and then jump starting the batteries.

Did you try this:

Put the key in the ignition, turn it to the left, hold for several seconds and turn back to the right and try to start the car. This will activate the auxiliary battery to start the car.

The trunk is opened by a remote control or by pressing on the trunk lid's small Bentley emblem.

If both batteries are dead you will need to get power via jumper through cigarette lighter or go through tail lights as a last resort or tow to dealer.

If you need to get the seat backs out remove bottom bolts and pull straight up.

See: Front and rear seats - The Rolls-Royce and Bentley Technical Library

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is the frank you are referring to when you say to remove three screws to get the tail light out.

Tried trunk release again to no avail. Pushed lever as far down as it would go
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am still unable to locate the fuse panel. Could you tell where that might be front the pictures I sent earlier? Would a direct connection from a jump box to the one that would pop the trunk be ok if the panel can be located?

The frank is through the back seat opening into trunk.

Fusebox locations & diagrams should be in your owners manual. Yes I do believe a direct connection from a jump box to the one that pops the trunk will work. There is a release lever to pull to access inside fuse panel. Here are some pictures. This is american on left side, the UK car panel is on right side.

graphic

graphic

Other fuses

Forum link
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/262594-driver-side-fuse-box-how-open.html

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am a little scared run a jumper from the jump box to the fuse panel. Have you ever done this before and is it possible that I could fry the electrical system doing this?
I find it hard to believe you don't have power when jumping through cigarette lighter. You may have a blown fuse. Check your fuses and replace as necessary. If you plan on jumping through fuse panel, use a fused jumper or circuit breaker with comparable amp fuse for that circuit. If you feel uncomfortable trying this yourself, have it towed to dealer or call autoclub.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can see no release lever as the picture shows and we are unable to look it up in owners manual as it is in the trunk.

I think you better have this towed to dealer. I don't think I can help you. I will opt out and let other experts see if they can help you. There are several fuse boxes and main fuse box is in trunk next to Main battery. You can't see the release lever unless you lay on your back under the dash. See this link:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here