Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

2006 Nissan Almera 1.5 : Vibration in gear stick

Vibration in the gear stick. Used 2006 Nissan almera 1.5 Petrol with 40K miles on it and i can feel vibration in the gear stick. The car drives well otherwise. What could be causing the vibration in the gear stick? The vibration is noticeable on all speeds. It is not annoying but have me concerned. 

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases this type of vibration can be caused by worn or damaged engine or transmission mounts.If these have not been inspected this should be done to see if this is the case here.If any are found wore out or damaged then the affected mounts should be replaced.

If the mounts are found to be o.k. check under the vehicle for any loose heat shields or components rattling against the engine or transmission as sometimes this can resonate to the gear shifter like this and cause this fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete,

How much would i be looking at in terms of repair cost if it is the transmission or engine mount? Is it an expensive job? How long should it take to be replaced ... roughly ...

Unfortunately my info doesn't give me the costs of the mounts or labor time but I can tell you a rough estimate can run anywhere from around $150 parts and labor to sometimes over $500 depending on what mount has failed and what is required to access and replace it.

To get an exact cost you can contact a local shop or dealer and give them your vehicles info and ask what they would charge to replace one or more mounts on your vehicle.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete

Does it pose any imminent threat if i delay this for a few days and take the car to the dealer on the weekend? Or would you suggest getting this sorted asap?

You should be o.k. to drive for a day or two as long as the vibration doesn't get any worse and no other problems start to show up.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input!

Your welcome.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your continued support, Since speaking to you, i spoke to my car dealer and he suggested that if there is vibration in the steering wheal then it could be front wheels out of balance. I got the wheel balanced and that solved the slight vibration in the steering wheel but the gear stick vibration remains.

I have also noticed that while driving if i press the clutch all the way in, the vibration goes away and when i depress it, it comes back on again. Also, if i take my foot off the gas paddle and then back on again, it feels like the vibration increase and decrease due to which the gear stick can be seen moving slightly.

I would still have the engine and especially the transmission mount checked to see if any are broken or weak/damaged as this can still cause the vibration in the stick shift/gear shifter.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing wrong with the engine mounts, maybe the slight vibration is normal for this car

It is possible,if it was checked and found the engine and transmission mounts are all o.k. and there is no component under the hood or under the vehicle vibrating it is possible this is a normal feature for this vehicle here as I have seen some vibrate somewhat and was considered normal.

Thanks Pete