Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Heres a strange one for you..perhaps.... The garage door

Here's a strange one for you..perhaps....

The garage door opener is shot... perhaps through lightning strikes after reading some of these pages.

Is it possible that a lightning strike also caused the side mirrors on a car to reset into the down position without doing any other damage? The mirrors still function thank goodness.........

Thanks in advance XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

sorry that you have not been helped yet.

I need the year, make and model of your vehicle so I can look at the schematics to see if there is any possible way this could happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2013 Ford Fusion middle trim (don't remember what it's called) and a 2002 GMC Envoy 6 cyl

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

this happened on both of them?

any other unusual happenings with the electronics of either after the lightening strike?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes both of them...no other problems with any electronics of either vehicle that I've noticed....drove the fusion 500 miles or so this weekend.

No problems in the house either except for the garage door opener

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, give me about 30 minutes to pull the schematics for each vehicle and see if there is any theoritical way for the mirrors to do that by a lightening strike to the house or near the house
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

roughy how long between the time the vehicles were parked and the lightening strike?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it happened while the vehicles were parked.

fusion maybe 2 hours....the GMC days

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, theoritically it would be possible for this to happen on the Fusion since it was only a couple of hours. the control modules(think small computer) take from a few minutes to a couple of hours to go to sleep(think hibernate option on computer at home). until they go to sleep it would be possible for some type of electrical interference such as a lightening strike to cause a module to respond, in this case, the body control module resetting the mirrors.

For the GMC, I honestly do not see a way for them to be affected by a lightening strike with it having been sitting there for days
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.