sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 92 olds 88 royale with the 3800 in it and the spedometer

I have a 92 olds 88 royale with the 3800 in it and the spedometer has stopped working ... From time to tome after it rains the spedometer works for short spans but kicks off and on and I can feels it in the transmission when it kicks off and on... Could those be the vehicle speed sensor or is it more likely the wiring harness for it ? Or possibly something else ?

Hello and welcome!

It really could go either way, the sensor or wiring. The fact that it seems to come back when it rains does somewhat point to a potential wiring or connection issue.

Start by disconnecting the sensor and see if there is any corrosion on the terminals or signs of water ingestion into the connector.

Also take a look at the wiring in the sensor's immediate area and as much of it as you can.

If everything looks visibly ok then you could either opt to try replacing the sensor or do some electrical testing at the time it's acting up to check the sensor's wiring between the sensor and powertrain control module (PCM). Wiring problems are definitely possible and more likely to happen on an older vehicle like this, but the sensor would probably still be more likely.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could your tell me or possibly have a diagram to show me exactly where I could find the vehiclespeed sensor ? Any help would be appreciated.
The sensor will be on the right side of the transmission near where the CV shaft goes in, and accessed from underneath.