Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Porsche Panamera: Just bought a used 2011 Panamera couple of

Just bought a used 2011 Panamera couple of weeks ago from a reputable dealer. been babying the car but finally took the car out for a long weekend. For the first time pushed the car, as I was approaching 90 mph, heard a pop and fluttering sound. Quickly pulled the car over, and peeked under the front airdam and noticed the cardboard-like sheet under the car which connect to the bumper had torn off and was scraping the road. I tore off the jagged edges and stuffed the sheet back under the botXXXXX XXXXXp of the bumper / airdam and drove on under 75 mph. Duct taped Why is there dark gray cardboard-like material under the car...doesn't it get wet? Looks like it will be expensive to replace as it looks like a large sheet that covers a large area under the car. Can I get something more durable?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On allot of vehicles they have an under shield that helps protect from dust and debris on the road from hitting the under carriage components as well as the engine area and also aids with cooling the engine.

These are usually made from plastic or a fiber type of board or metal.

If this is card board alone this doesn't sound like the correct piece was installed under the vehicle as the stuff that is used is made to resist dirt and debris as well as water.Someone may have modified a piece of cardboard to fit under the vehicle in the original components place and this may be why it broke free.

You would have to obtain the new correct part from a dealer and have it installed under the vehicle,in most cases these shields are generally inexpensive under $100 and sometimes even less then $30.You would have to contact a dealer for the most current cost as well as to obtain this piece for replacement.

You can speak with a metal work shop to see if they can build a more durable shield out of metal and have this installed as this is another option.

I hope this has helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete,

Thanks for your response. I have not called the dealer yet, but hopefully I'll sleep easier tonight knowing that this is not going to cost me thousands to repair. Hard to believe that a pricey car sports car has such a flimsy part. Maybe it is by design as these cars ride a bit lower and the bottoms get scrapped often so it is cheaper to repair/replace a fiber board. Hope the Porsche parts are not pricer than Mercedes. (BTW: I owned a 1999 E320 wagon, but I ended up with several engine issues, and parts falling off (e.g. the little knob that controlled the side mirrors) that I swore of Mercedes, hope they are better these days) Smile

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your reply is fine. No other followup needed.

Thanks for the reply.Let me know if you need anything else in the future or with this question here.

Thanks Pete