Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 2008 freightliner chassis with Allison mh3000 6 speed

I have a 2008 freightliner chassis with Allison mh3000 6 speed every so often sometimes 2 or 3 hundred miles some times days of driving before the dash says transmission shift inhibited. Check transmission I pull over and shut down the motor for a few minutes and continue with normal operation that seems to fix it for a few miles or even days of driving no set distance what's the fix
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here if this hasn't been checked yet is to have the fault codes read out with a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in this model vehicle to see what codes have set.There should be a code set for a transmission component that is related to this issue that will aid in the diagnosis and location of the fault.

From what is described here this sounds like a possible transmission solenoid at fault causing this as usually when you can turn off the engine and restart it if the fault is gone this indicates this is an electrical component in the the transmission at fault.

Having the codes read out will aid with the diagnosis and repair here.

I hope this has helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Pete. Do you think this is an external electronic problem or internal???? I will be taking this unit to Detroit Allison this pm. And just like to an idea I personally think its some electrical external. Not internal mechanical problem. Because it is so intermittent
I apologize for the delay

From what you have described this may be a fault with an electronic solenoid or sensor inside the transmission itself,not a mechanical issue since you can turn off the engine and restart and be o.k. from there.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete