Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

I have a compustar alarm in my truck and the imobilizer wont

Customer Question

I have a compustar alarm in my truck and the imobilizer wont let me start my truck
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXX - Im happy to help you ...

|Can you give me some background to this so that I can help you better....

Plus - does it show any fault messages?

Rgds, MIKE...............................
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There is no way for me to know about any fault messages

My truck is a 94 dodge ram 2500 12 valve cummins diesel. The alarm i had installed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello again Dieter -

Sorry for the delay, I am busy helping others too. Please do not re list the question as this causes delays in itself.

Ok - with the absence of any fault messages -

How long have you had the alarm installed ? How old is it?

Exactly what is happening - ? and what makes you think its an immobilizer issue?

Rgds, MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The alarm is a about two years old. My friend was driving the truck. We stopped for lunch. Coming out of the restaurant my friend unknowingly unlocked the door of the truck with the key. (he was supposed to unlock it with the key fob). That kicked in the immobilizer. Now when i use the key all the power works it simply wont turn over... nothing at all. I have tried reseting it by tuning the key off and on five times then hitting the proper buttons to take it out of valet mode. I have also removed the battery terminals from both batteries. That didnt work either. The truck is a 1994 dodge ram 2500 12 valve cummins diesel 4x4. Again the alarm is a compustar alarm.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info - that is very helpful.

Ok - as you say, doing as he did has most likely kicked the immobilizer in -but there should be indication of that - on the key fobs if you have that type ( and lcd screen on the fob) or on the indicator on the dash...

If that is the case - then yes if it wont reset - I would have suggested doing as you have - and also if that didn't work - disconnecting the batteries - you have done that also.

But -often it can take a good 30 mins or so to to do a reboot...so if you didn't leave it that long you need to retry that.

Too - this system ( not all ) but is most likely to have a battery back up on its system meaning when you disconnect the batteries on the vehicle, it is still live - so you need to locate the alarm box and see if thats the case - In any event - if you are not sure - you need to disconnect the wiring to the control unit - and then leave that off as well for the same time.
Plus th unit back in first - then the car batteries- then re try it.

That will usually work.

Now If not - if nothing as above gets it to work, it may well have developed a fault internally. In which case and at that stage, I would recommend you contact the company for a way forward - it is still under warranty too. ( lifetime) The only other way is to remove the system - but I would rather you do that first as above ( ie, contact them)

I don't know if you have tried to re sync the remotes, thats another option. That is explained in the manual for you ..There are several different models / versions of this system so its difficult for me to say which you have - without that I cant tell you the re sync procedure - though I can give you a link to a manual if you need it.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how do i find the alarm box... what does it look like and where is it commonly installed. is unplugging it self explanitory?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi again Dieter..

Thank you for your reply.

Im afraid to say, that that is a very good question - ie, where is the alarm box.... because the installers can basically fit them wherever - they choose to opt for the easiest for the wiring them up - - so, look up under the dash - usually they are as near to the ignition as they can get....

It will be obvious when you see it as it will have the make / name on it.... and it will "stand out" as not part of the vehicles standard fittings...

Then yes - its just multi plug connectors- you press the tang on the connector and pull off.....

Hope that helps you further Dieter - let me know how you go.

Best Rgds Dieter --- MIKE.

.................. Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings button for me now - as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that.

You can get back to me anytime you might need too after that - you are always welcome.

Rgds - MIKE...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanx mike ill keep this conversation going incase i need to be in more contact with you .

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi there Dieter..

Thats not a problem - I don't mind either way.

I will be off for several hours now but if you do need anything more, just leave me a note here and you will be the first one I get back to when I return.

.... It doesn't matter if you choose to select the OK ratings right now- it doesn't stop you getting back to me at all - you can get back to me anytime at all - no problem.

But either way I don't mind and would be interested to know if its all sorted anyway.

All the best Dieter.. MIKE.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I cant find the box anywhere. Can you tell me the size / dimentions of it please? I found one box that says hamstar on it. Could that be the one? Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello again Dieter..

Thank you for your message -

Im really not sure on that , the Hamstar Dieter... There are something like 40 different models..

The box should have a number on it - but I have been thinking about this further... I have the contact details of the Compustar systems - it would most likely save you a lot of time etc if you contact them direct , so I can give you a link to their website if you like - and you contact them direct through their site - they will be able to help / direct you more specifically if you understand.

In fact rather than wait for your reply now -which takes more time obviously - I will give you the link / contact details anyway -- so for that , click HERE.

Then contact them Dieter - that has to be the best / quickest way for you -they may even be able to tell you more precisely where the unit will be - and more tests etc...

Let me know how you go Dieter -

Kind Rgds , MIKE.