Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Nissan/Datsun xtrail: hi i have a nissan x trail 2006 2.2dci

Customer Question

hi i have a nissan x trail 2006 2.2dci with a pinking knocking noise when engine is under load it gets quieter when it warms up but just ticks when running at temp when on a run when it's ticking over you can't here it changed two injectors as i had injectors tested they found that 2 of them as they said they were down so they lifted them  but still the same and even after changed the 2 injectors with 2 new ones had them coded into the car and still the same any idea.

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases this can be caused by carbon build up in the engine itself.If you haven't had a carbon clean done to clean the valves and pistons this may be a good idea to have done to see if it corrects this fault here as this is common to cause this type of noise and is heard more when cold and may go away some what as the engine warms up.

I have also seen cam shaft and crank shaft bearing failure cause this as well but this sounds more like a possible carbon knock and having a carbon clean done may correct this here.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
how do i go about doing a carbon clean up. Do you mean fuel treatment additives i did do this with a fuel additive. There is no loss of power and no smoke from the exhaust would i get any loss of power or smoke if this was the case. cheers mark
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
I apologize for the delay.

In some cases you may see smoke with carbon build up but in others that I have seen no noticeable loss of power was present as well as no smoke.

Usually with a carbon clean this is done with a carbon cleaning machine that a shop or dealer has which injects this cleaner into the intake as the engine is running and the cleaner then soaks the valves and pistons somewhat and helps remove the carbon.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i forgot to say that the noise does get less noticeable at high rpms like when i do give it the gun on the motorway or when ithrottle it hard it gets quieter dont know if that's to any significance.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
Carbon build up will also react like this with it being louder at low rpm's or idle and cold engine and quieter when the engine warms up or is revved up at higher rpm's

You can have the engine oil checked for metal to see if any metal is in the oil,if there is any metal or bearing material in the engine oil then I would suspect more of crank shaft bearing fault as this can be noisy as well at low rpm's with a cold engine and then as the engine warms up and components expand the bearing clearance is less and the noise may be quieter then.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
cheers XXXXX XXXXX the carbon clean up ago first and go from there not

cheers XXXXX XXXXX time
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
Your welcome.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.Feel free to rate my help above when your ready as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hi there could there be any chance that the timing chain or tensioner Could be making this noise
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
I have seen in some cases where the timing tensioner can bleed down oil pressure and the timing chain guide shoes can also wear and cause this.This would need to be inspected further to see if this is the case,using an automotive stethoscope with the engine running will help in determining if this is a component in the timing cover at fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
on the engine idle you can't here the noise so its a little difficult to sin point when just listen to the engine if i use a automotive stethsope amd put it to the timing case would i be able to here this noise and would it sound the same.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
It can be difficult to pinpoint the noise by ear listening overall to the engine this is why it is best to use an automotive stethoscope to listen around the engine with it running to see if you can pinpoint the location of the noise,this way you have a better idea of its location and then further checking can be done to pinpoint it.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Right I've got a automotive stethscope so ill try to listen to the chain to see if i can here it will it be a pinking noise need to listen for or just a knocking like i say its hard to here it when its just ticking over even when you rev it out of gear its hard to lis ten for it
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
It would be an abnormal noise that you usually wont hear on your engine or it may sound like the noise you hear now.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok ill try to listen for it cheers
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
your welcome