Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

how to remove o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 1996 chrsyler conv.

how to remove o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 1996 chrsyler conv. jxi
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

can you tell me what size engine is in the car ?

did you buy the new O2 sensor yet ?

and your looking to change the down steam O2 sensor correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

6-cylinder 2.5, got new bosch o2 sensor . down steam correct..

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok Rey the down stream O2 sensor is shown here in this picture and is located on the cat convertor

you will need to get under the cargraphic

you disconnect the electrical connector to the old O2 sensor then with an O2 sensor socket or a 7/8 wrench you remove it from the pipe

then reverse to install the new O2 sensor

if the old O2 seems very tight sometimes some penetrating oil and let it sit on the O2 sensor will help in it being removed if very tight to loosen but most will just unscrew out of the pipe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

02 sensor wires go into floor broad above, how to disconnect wire???

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it should pop down out of the floor with a rubber grommet and you can access the connector them connect the new one and pop it back into place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

try to pull wire out but won't come out, don't want to breck wire connection. is there another way to pull it out???

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will the plastic or rubber big plug the wire goes through pop down ?it should with a screw driver to access the connector

these are unplugged from underneath everytime

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i removed the grommet already just pulling the wire connection out is hard, can i remove it by going on top thru the console???

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it should have enough slack to pull it down out enough to unplug it

ive never had to pull a console or access it from inside the car keep working it at different angles it should pull down enough

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will try your advise, will get back to you, see what happens...

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

no problem

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm back, the wire inside the floor board was to short to pop out thee other side of the hole to disconnect. had to remove console to get to it. it's off.. but i thank you for your help...

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

im surprised the pigtail was that short I have always been able to pull them down

great job changing the O2 sensor

you saved yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years