K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

hiI have an 84 Oldsmobile........307 engine that has been

I have an 84 Oldsmobile........307 engine that has been sitting for a number of years. I used parts off of it to keep another on on the road. I am not attempting to start it. I have replced all the main parts in the distributor..........and have hooked a direct line from th battery to the distributor bypassigb the ignition............I am not able to get regular firing from the the distributor.

I have tightrened teh bolt that holds the distribtor......thiongkin that its a ground problem.

Would tell me what the problem is?

The distribtor has no other feeds coming out of it to feed fresh air...criuse and such.

Could you as well send me a diagram of correct firing order just in case I have not dine that correctly too please.
Hello, what model Oldsmobile is this? (Cutlass, delta 88, etc.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its a cust

Part of your reply must have got cut off, I assume you meant cutlass. If you have battery power hooked to the positive connector at the coil terminal on the distributor cap that's all you need there.
Here's the firing ordergraphic
Let me know how it goes after checking the firing order

K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there Im sory for the delay my computer wa out of commission. Thanks for the pictire. When I put all the parts that I had used on another car back on and attempted to start the engine....ther was no spark. So I put a direct line from the distributer to the battery to find out if the problem was in the ignition hook up........and stil still no spark. I then changed the parts in the distributor........pick up coil.......igintion piece that plugs in in the distruber.....and the square thing that sits on the top of the cap......and I did get spark but not all the time.

It is a custom cruiser/wagon.....big car........stock computer pieces. thanks for your pateince!

Are you sure you have the firing order as counter-clockwise? 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a way to check the distributor........the parts are new.......the pick up....the ignition piece and the square piece that fits on the top are new .......but is ther a way to check them tomake sur they are working?

You will get a positive rating need to worry about that! I will lwr you go after this........!

A very simple way is hook up a timing light and crank the engine.