Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Kia Magentis: I have a 2005 Kia Magentis. When I turn the key,

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Magentis. When I turn the key, nothing happens. I do this 3 or 4 times, and still nothing happens. The car does not start, there is no clicking sound, but the dash lights do come on. Finally, after trying this over and over again, the car finally turns over and starts. It runs fine once it is running, although it does idle roughly, always giving the feeling it wants to quit. It has quit a few times while idling in gear, but always restarts. One morning, it took me 20 minutes to get the car started. I drove it to the garage down the road from me, 30 seconds away. I shut it off, went inside and explained my problem. When they came out to the car, it started right away. I left it with them all day, and they tried to start it at different times all day, and it started everytime. They said that they could only determine the problem if it refused to start. This is my problem. Sometimes it starts fine and sometimes it does not. The only way for me to figure out the problem, is if it does not start while I am sitting in the garage parking lot. But I never know when that might be, and I never know when I am going to get stuck somewhere and have to tow it home. Do you have any idea what my problem might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch itself as I have seen these switches act up on several model vehicles in the past and can cause an intermittent issue like this here.

I would first start with checking to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight at the battery and to where they run,if any are found loose or corroded then they need corrected to correct this here.

If these are o.k. I would have the electronic ignition switch tested when the vehicle is acting up (this may be tough to do as the vehicle will need to be acting up to obtain accurate test results) to see if it is faulty and replaced if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My car is also overheating, for the first time in its 8 year life. Can a blown head gasket be the cause for my problem? I have been having the original problem for the last 4 weeks, while the overheating is relatively new. The garage I have been dealing with told me I may have a blown head gasket. Also, have you ever heard of "Thermagasket". Does it work?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes,a blown head gasket can cause over heating on your vehicle and if there is coolant or oil build up in the cylinders from a leaking head gasket this can make turning over the engine and starting the vehicle difficult.

I don't recommend any head gasket stop leak like what you have posted above (Thermagasket) as this stuff can cause more damage then good like restricting or plugging up oil and coolant passages.

If you have a blown head gasket the cylinder head needs removed and tested to make sure it is o.k. and the gasket replaced to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

HERE is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).