Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Jaguar XJS 2+2: 1994 jaguar xjs convertible. has lost the dashboard

1994 jaguar xjs convertible. has lost the dashboard lights as well as the rear lights and side marker lights. The headlights and rear fog lights are still working.,as are the turn signals. All the fuses are good - don't know about other relays/switches. Any idea on what the issue is?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this is an issue with the park lights on this vehicle to where the back lighting of the instrument cluster is not lighting up as well as all outside park lights when the headlight/park light switch is on this can be caused by an internal electrical fault with the headlight/park light switch itself as I have seen before in some cases and had to replace.

If this is the case with these lights here the signals out of the headlight switch would need tested to verify the switch is at fault.If you have a multi meter I can see if I can locate the correct testing info on this switch to see if we can determine if this switch is the fault just let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, I do have a multi meter and can test wires. Please let me know the procedure to test the switch. Kurt

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,my info on this isn't the clearest as it isn't showing me which wire has voltage going into this switch but with the switch removed and still plugged in (is possible) test and make sure you have one wire that has battery voltage on it with the key on or off,then if you do locate the brown wire with red stripe and turn on the park lights with the switch and see if you have battery voltage on this wire.

If you do not but you do have voltage into the switch on another wire then this switch is at fault needing replaced and is most common for loss of park lamps like this here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, what is the procedure for removing the switch? Do I need to remove the steering wheel? Kurt

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this available and my info is limited on this as well but here is the removal and install procedure I have located for you.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable and disarm airbag system (locate and remove air bag fuse)
2. Remove steering wheel.
3. Disconnect and remove instrument illumination rheostat knob.
4. Remove steering column lower nacelle securing screws. Remove lower nacelle.
5. Tilt steering column to lowest tilt position.
6. Remove switch securing bolt.
7. Cut and remove cable ties securing switch harness.
8. Disconnect switch harness multi-plug.
9. Carefully remove switch assembly.
10. Reverse procedure to install.

Heres the steering wheel removal procedure

1. Disconnect battery ground cable and disarm airbag system
2. Center front wheels and lock steering wheel by removing ignition key.
3. Slightly loosen the nut securing steering wheel to shaft.
4. Pull steering wheel to release from shaft. Remove securing nut and steering wheel.
5. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
a. Tighten steering wheel securing nut to 26-33 ft. lbs..
b. Reverse disarming procedure to arm air bag.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, I have had a chance to test the Jaguar XJS headlight switch. Please review the following table (C=Cold/No Voltage, H=Hot/12 Volts):

Wires:

B = Black

BL = Blue

BR = Brown/Red Stripe

BB = Brown/Black Stripe

BP = Black/Pink Stripe

Key/Switch Off Key off/Switch on Key on/Switch off Key/Switch On

B C C C C

BL C C H H

BR H C H C

BB C C H H

BP C C C C

Based on above, the only wire that has battery voltage on it with the key on or off AND the switch OFF is the Brown/red stripe wire.

What do you think is the problem? (switch shorted?/bad relay?)

Kurt

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, sent you a table of the wire testing. Please review and get back to me. Kurt

Note: Based on testing, the only wire that has battery voltage on it with the key on or off AND the switch OFF is the Brown/red stripe wire.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify somewhat what you have posted above as I am having a difficult time telling which wires had voltage with the key on and key off as well if any had voltage with the park lights switched on?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete, Ok - here goes:

Black - Always Cold

Blue - Cold with Key off, Hot with Key on AND Hot with Parking switch on.

Brown/Red Stripe - Hot with Key off, Hot with Key on AND Cold with Parking switch on.

Brown/Black Stripe - Cold with Key off, Hot with Key on AND Hot with Parking switch on.

Black/Pink Stripe - Always Cold.

Kurt

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,with the brown/red stripe wire from what you have described it sounds like it is hot with key off,key on and then goes cold when the park lamps are switched on am I correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Kurt

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,from what you have described here and with what has been tested this looks to be an internal electrical fault in the headlight switch itself needing replaced as none of the wires show voltage being turned on or coming out of any of the wires when the park lamps are switched on.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.