Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Saab 9-3 Aero: Last year I asked Jeffery and he said it was

Last year I asked Jeffery and he said it was the gas cap. I replaced it. My buddy turned the code off. It lasted 50 miles. Then he turned it off again, lasted 250 miles and came back on for 50 or so. Then went off for another 100+, then has come back on. Had it checked the other day, it is showing the 0089.
I had my mechanic, a Mercedes master mechanic check and he said the fuel pump is good, he can't figure it out.
Now, I have been reading a ton, I'd like to keep the car but....
Could it be the fuel SENSOR? It appears that that has been a consistent problem.
Also, the car runs rough and misses occasionally, its inconsistent. Hadn't done it for months and did yesterday...very vague, but there. I was looking at a trade and the salesman, a former owner of 2 SAABs said he could detect a slight miss on acceleration. When I look under the hood it seems like that sensor is right there and should be an easy replacement....I'm no mechanic so I'm probably wrong.
Its a 2006 Aero Convertible
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On some vehicles this code can be set due to a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor reading incorrectly intermittently.This sensor is located on the fuel rail towards the engine belt.If this sensor reads incorrectly it can cause a fuel pressure or fuel regulator fault code and may also cause intermittent rough running issues.In some cases you can use a scan tool to observe the sensor data to see if the sensor reading is erratic.If found to be at fault this sensor would need replaced.

If this sensor has already been checked or replaced let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Disregard this post ,double answer ??

work with the answer from Pete .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, so you gave me a definite "maybe" on the fuel pressure sensor.....I'm
kinda leaning at just replacing it and see.
However, where is it located? I pulled the plastic cover and on the left
side of the engine there was a doohickey that looked just like the pictures
of the replacement parts I've looked at. And, it appeared to be attached
to the fuel rail.
If that is it, could I just pull the darned thing and put another in? Or
do I need some secret Jedi tools?

I apologize for the delay in response.

Here are the instructions I have located for replacing this sensor here:

To remove
1. Remove the engine cover.
2. Relieve excess pressure in the fuel system by carefully pressing on the needle of the service valve. Catch any fuel spill.
IMPORTANT: Take care when releasing the locking mechanism on the connector so as not to damage the connector. Pull the halves straight apart to avoid bending the pins.
3. Unplug the sensor connector.
4. Remove the sensor.

To fit
1. Fit the sensor using a new O-ring lightly coated with vaseline.
IMPORTANT: Take care when plugging in the connector so as not to damage or press out the pins/sleeves in the connector.
2. Fit the sensor connector.
3. Fit the engine cover.

The sensor should remove fairly easily after the bolts have been removed.I would allow the vehicle to sit over night then replace it before turning on the key the next day this way most all of the fuel pressure has bled down,wear safety glasses to be safe.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Aha, the link worked.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I just threw in the towel and traded for a van.

Loved the car, actually got emotional about it, but I do need a van more than a convertible and something that I could take to a mechanic and get fixed.

My wife had complained that she had to push the brake pedal to the floor a couple of times recently so it appeared I was going to have a brake issue on top of everything else.

What a beautiful car. Much more attractive to me than MB or BMW, that's why I bought it.

God bless,

Your welcome Bruce.It is tough to let go of a vehicle that you like and trust but in some cases it can be the best option when looking at multiple issues.

If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.