Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

ok I have replaced the timing chain on my car and reinstalled

ok I have replaced the timing chain on my car and reinstalled all the parts we cranked over the car 3 times and it made a funny noise almost like dry rockers we stopped and I removed the timing chain cover and timing chain the cams wont move and the crankshaft wont either what should be my next steps to solve this problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

Can I have the year, make, model and engine size???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

its a 1999 2.4l doc Pontiac grandma se

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, Why did you replace the timing chain?? Was the other one damaged???

My concern is the either the motor is locked up from lack of oil or you may have installed the chain incorrectly and the valve may have contacted the pistons and bent the valves.

Will the crank rotate either way??? Did it rotate when you were installing the chain ok??

Did the cams move freely during the installation??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the crankshaft wont move either way but the cams will move a little till they stop and wont move in that direction anymore plus after cranking the car over we stopped and then I removed everything necessary to access the timing chain again I noticed that the chain tensioner was still locked in the reset position and that the timing chain had skipped links I removed the timing chain and the tensioner & foot still the crankshaft wont turn and the cams will a little bit what would be my next steps to solve this problem and by the way the motor is not fully out of the engine I've un bolted the intake cam shaft housing also like I asked what would be the next steps in finding the problem and fixing it, I do have a repair manual and the wife's not happy gotta get it fixed

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

I am very concerned that the valves are bent. Remove the cam covers to examine the top end of the valves. If there are any that are not contacting the cam lobes then the valves are bent.

This would be the next step to check. If they are bent, then the cylinder head will have to come off to have the valves replaced.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

will the motor need to be pulled from the car to remove the cylinder head and valves if need be

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

no, this operation is done in the car. You have the major part of the job done now with removing the timing chain

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so if the timing was off and the skipped links when it was cranked not fully started why didn't the chain tensioner released and put pressure on the tensioner foot to keep the chain in place

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

It works on oil pressure. you had not built up enough oil pressure to pump up the tensioner.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so when I go to reinstall the timing chain how would I build up enough oil pressure for it to engage without the chain getting slack and therefor skipping and throwing my timing also when I remove the exhaust camshaft housing how do I release the froze crankshaft

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, when you get all the other stuff fixed, you can soak it in oil so when you pull the pin, there will be enough oil in the tensioner to take the slack out of the chain.

When you remove the head, it should turn as the bent valves most likely are preventing it from turning. You will be removing the entire cylinder head, that will contain the intake and exhaust cams.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok so its my third spark plug in firing order that is damaged on the exhaust cam side and the second valve looking from the front of the motor is stuck lower than all the other what do I do cause the crank shaft still wont rotate I didn't reinstall the crankshaft pulley to try to force it to move

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

once again, you must remove the head. at that point you will see the damage. there may be more valves bent. did you check the intake side??? when the head is off, the motor should rotate.

Did you try to start it with the harmonic balancer still off the car???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok so can I remove the cylinder head with only unbolting the exhaust and intake manifolds and other stuff that that connects to the head but not fully remove them it also says that valve springs and stems can be removed without pulling the cylinder head or does that not work due to fact that I couldn't start with a proper TDC due to the valve being stuck

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

the exhaust and intake manifolds have to come off. If you leave them on and disconnect everything it will be heavy and awkward to lift.

You cannot remove the valves without removing the head, removing the cams and then using a spring tool to remove the valve springs.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok removed the cylinder head two valves broke and leaving dents into my piston and some damage to the head if I were to file down the raised spots in the piston and head would the still work if the indents were at a minimum cause I am pretty much outta cash after ordering the new valves my uncle says they're not bad and that he thought it would be a lot worse and suggested just to smooth everything out and reinstall the new valves and everything

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
ok, does the motor turn??????

You will have to have the head done by a machine shop so they can machine the valves and the seats.

As far as the pistons, i dont know what they look like but if there is damage, they should be replaced.

Dont forget to hit the smiley button so I get credit for my answers.

Good luck

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years