EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

Infiniti g35x: Hi I just purchased an 08 g35x automatic

Hi I just purchased an ' 08 g35x automatic with 64,00 miles (days ago). After I start my car I cannot shift it to drive until a couple of tries....What can be wrong? & also does this has anything to do with the trans??? The dealership ship gave me a quick answer about the brake not releasing the shifter. But I can't trust them cause I told them if it something serious I will return the car...Thanks!
Hi. More than likely this is not a problem with the transmission. Most of the time when the shifter will not release from park it is due to the vehicles brake switch or the shift-interlock actuator.

When you step on the brake the brake switch sends a signal to the shift lock actuator, located near the shifter, which allows the shifter to be removed from park.

The correct way to test this, is to check the output voltage of the brake switch, while you are stepping on the brake AND the concern is happening.

Please let me know if you need more info before rating. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. Also would you recommend a trans flush or drain?? My vehicle has 65,000 miles on it & has never had a flush before. I read that a 1st flush a this mileage could be harmful due to possible loose particles resting in the trans.

If possible could you recommend any good Nissan or Infinite mechanics in NJ. I currently live in East Orange NJ...Thanks Laughing

At 65000 miles I would not be afraid to flush or service the transmission. Maybe if the mileage was like 120000 on the original fluid. I think it would be a good idea to have it done. Also B & F Auto is a reliable place and they work on imports. The address and number: XXXXX East Orange, NJ ‎ (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Thank you. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank a bunch! But do u know of any other mechanics? This is my 1st infinite & would like to have more options. Also i had the trans fluid check & it look good. The previous owner used regular oil but im thinkining about switching to synthetic. Would u suggest that?

Switching to synthetic oil could never hurt. If the few extra dollars per oil change doesn't matter to you, then I would say go for it. Also you could try these other import garages:

Gregs auto repair, XXXXX Rutherford, NJ ‎ (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Precision Auto Center, 115 U.S. 46, Rockaway, NJ ‎ (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Rennsport motor services, XXXXX Hackensack, NJ ‎ (NNN) NNN-NNNN ‎ ·
Lucio Import car services, XXXXX West New York, NJ(201)(NNN) NNN-NNNN