sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

just changed out alternator on a 2002 I 35 and the car now

just changed out alternator on a 2002 I 35 and the car now trys to start but when key is released the car dies out can you help

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I am still looking for and answer please help priority help needed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

new battery and new alternator installed because red battery warning lite would not go out. Still want start checked gounds all ok.

Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I see that your question has been up for an extended time without a response and although this vehicle is not in my area of greatest expertise I would like to try to help.

After disconnecting the battery it's not uncommon to have idle issues because the engine controller will not have correct memory for the idle air control, which is what lets air into the engine when the throttle is closed to maintain idle.

Start the engine and keep it running with the throttle rather than letting it die. If you can keep it running then bring the RPM's up to about 2000 and very, very slowly return the throttle to closed, slow enough that it takes thirty seconds or so to close it. See if it will then stay running on it's own. If not you can try it a couple times.

If you are able to keep it running with throttle but it still won't idle on it's own then resetting the memory with a scan tool will be necessary.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much problem solved.If I have any other issures in the future I willnot hesitate to consult this site. For right now I will forego purchase of a subscription.

That's great, I'm glad to hear the problem is solved!