Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Maserati Quattroporte: Just bought a 2005 Quattroporte 2 weeks

Customer Question

Just bought a 2005 Quattroporte 2 weeks ago. Have been having a little issue with the steering wheel adjustments not functioning properly but assumed no big deal...maybe just a sensor. Yesterday went out to drive it and it is completely dead. When I put the key in the ignition it makes not a sound at all. No lights come on, no clicking...nothing! Owners manual is in the glove box and I can't get to it since it won't open! Any thoughts or experience with this issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello

This sounds to me like the battery is flat -
A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on what could have causes the battery to drain? Nothing was left on that I know of and I had just riven the car the day before. And can I charge the battery directly?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello

yes there's no issue with charging the battery straight onto the terminals

as to what it caused it to drain
I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.

Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your extensive and detailed response Matt! I'm sure this info will be most helpful. :•)
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.

However you can keep asking questions on the same post as the process is supposed to a be a dialogue with information going back and forth to solve the problem