FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Suzuki Forenza: I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. I took my car

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. I took my car to the shop to have the rack and pinion replaced because there was too much play in the steering. When the shop was done with my car I went to pick it up and noticed a noise when starting the car. I makes a clunking sound when I turn the key to start the car and y car did not make this noise before so I demanded that the shop fix it and I left my car. Then, they called me to let me know that I needed a new timing belt. So I approved the timing belt replacement, but when I went to pick up my car, it still makes the noise when starting it. What is going on? Did the shop do something to my car? I argued with them that my car did not make the noise before but they insist that all cars like mine make that noise. Now I am getting a P0700 code that I know has something to do with my transmission but I took my car to this same place three years ago when they replaced the Speed Range sensor in my transmission and they also changed the transmission oil. Can somebody give me their thoughts on this?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 year ago.

FixItMan :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me if the noise only occurs on start up?

Customer :

It occurs on start up and driving and stopping. It sounds like something is loose or jumping around.

Customer :

The Service manager at the Suzuki dealer where I had my car repaired wanted to convince me that cars like mine have know issues and that it was nothing that they did. I suspect that they swapped out good parts from my car and put defective ones and are using the known issues to cover up what they did. My car was running perfectly before I took it to them.

Customer :

I took the Service managers advice and took my car home to drive it for a couple of days to see if the noise goes away, but it has gotten worse.

FixItMan :

It sounds like something was left loose under the vehicle. It is common for the lower subframe or the steering shaft to have been not torqued properly. You either need to take it back to them or to another shop and then tell the dealer what the other shop found and that you expect them to pay for it. It sounds like they are giving you the run around.

Customer :

When I initially left the car I asked them to check and see if there was something loose but the service manager explained that they did double check that everything was tightened torqued correctly. could something loose cause the p0700 code.

FixItMan :

That code it typically for a communication issue on the transmission control module. If the wiring harness was damaged or left loose then that would occur.