Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Wrangler: I pulled the rear case on my AX5 transmission to

I pulled the rear case on my AX5 transmission to replace the 5th gear snap ring. Once I got everything back together, I can't shift into any gear. I'm really confused because the extent of my work was next to nothing. A new snap ring and new gaskets?
Did you make sure all of the shift shafts were in neutral before you buttoned it all up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not, I didn't mess with them. I may have bumped them while removing the shift arm. Other then that possibility, I had the jeep in first gear when I started. Is there a way to check with the rear case on (by shining a flashlight through the output shaft)?

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

It has been a few years since I went into one of these to deal with 5th gear. I have never tried to deal with these rods with transmission together. All the all the rods need to be in neutral. If not it will jam it up pretty bad internally, and it probably will not go into any gear. I know it is a pain, but it is what I am thinking what the problem very likely is. There are interlocking "detents" that can jam up the linkage. If you didn’t take the detent system apart that shouldn’t be a factor. If it was mine I would check out the shift rods and center them all in neutral. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I reopen it, the gasket will need to be replaced, right?