Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

350SL: I have a 350 SL 1999 and the vario roof is not releasing

I have a 350 SL 1999 and the vario roof is not releasing at the front above the windscreen, everything else seems to be working, just that bit gets stuck on the opening process. It used to sound like it was sticking a little before it got stuck! Any ideas?

Thanks Paul
Hi Paul,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like you may have a possible mechanical fault with one of the front latches above the windshield.I have seen these fail before and in some cases have had the actuators leak hydraulic oil and fail and cause this type of fault here.

I would have these checked into to see if there is a leak in the hydraulic actuator at these latches that may need replaced or if this is a mechanical fault with one of the latches itself.Once located the affected component would need replaced to correct this.

Most common is usually the hydraulic actuators failing above the windshield.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete