Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

96 Cadillac Deville 170000 mi stalls. Replaced egr valve $244.00.

96 Cadillac Deville 170000 mi stalls. Replaced egr valve $244.00. Replaced crank sensors $160.00. Still stalls then wait 30 seconds. Then it will start. It may go a block or may go 2 miles or more.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is the check engine light on? If so, do you know what codes your getting? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do not know it is in a repair shop. Do they know what they are doing?

It doesn't sound like it, all the things they replaced can be tested before replacing. Also the crank sensors cause no spark so they should have verified no spark before testing. Was check engine light on before you brought it to shop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No check engine light

The crankshaft position sensor will usually cause the check engine light to come on also. The crank sensors were a reasonable guess by the shop but not the EGR valve, I would tell them you want old parts put back on since they were good to begin with. Then at that point they might be at little upset but I think it is worth saving the $250. The map sensor and the ignition module are fairly common to fail causing this problem without turning on the check engine light. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there has been A check engine light. The Latest code is p1599

This code just means "engine stall detected" which could really mean anything but usually means crank sensor or ignition module. They need to check for spark during no start condition, if no spark then check power/grounds on ignition module then replace ignition module. Let me know how it goes, thanks.