Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Volvo 98: Hi, I have a 1998 Volvo S70. The air pump is good

Hi, I have a 1998 Volvo S70. The air pump is good but it just wont start. I can trip the air pump relay by hand by taking the cover off; the pump starts fine. The vacuum hoses have been replaced and the pump solenoid is new. Apparently, the ECM is not firing the ground pin on the Air Pump relay by not bringing it to Ground potential...Any suggestions?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this code is setting (P0410) this can cause the air pump to be inoperative as the engine computer is seeing a fault with the air pump system and most likely is disabling the air pump from operating.

In some cases this can be caused by a faulty oxygen sensor reading incorrectly on the engine or a fault with the check valve being stuck open possibly for the pump air flow into the exhaust or the check valve for the vacuum supply to the solenoid.

There is some testing that needs done to locate which component is at fault here.It is also possible this is an internal electrical fault in the computer itself but more testing is required which will require a multi meter,vacuum test gage and a scan tool to test voltages and signals.If you have these tools I can try and walk you through some testing to see if we can locate the fault just let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete OK thank you. It appears I can replace the ECM for about $50 on EBAY and I dont have all those tools so its not worth pursuing. The car, of course runs great and it doesnt throw any other codes.

Your welcome.If you need anything else here let me know.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.Feel free to rate my help above when your ready as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete