Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Lincoln LS: I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 196k miles. In

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 196k miles. In June I had the oxygen sensor replaced as well as all 8 spark plugs at a Merlins after the check engine light came on.
Last week the check engine light came on so I had a diagnostic done at a Firestone on 8/27/13.

Was told Cyl #5 140 PSI, #6 70-80 PSI, #7 80-90 PSI, and that the engine could go in 1 day, 1 month, 1 year.

The car did not idle rough until I got it back from Firestone.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this ...

Im assuming they did not report any fault codes - just the compressions.

With the engine check light on, there should be fault codes logged in the Ecu - so I would suggest re contact them and ask them what they were - that can help you with the repairs /. ways forward. If the test wasn't done, it needs to be , then go from there.

The compressions are a concern though - they are very low (apart from #5 at 140 - they should all be around there )

It is true yes that no one can say how long a situation would last like this - ie, the engine..before it gets un driveable..

This would usually indicate valve wear / seat wear - but very often this situation can be rectified by removal of the affected cylinder head - removal of the engine valves, in the head and re grinding the valves in / re seating them so that a gas tight seal is re made. Sometimes they need new valves and / or seats- but that can only be determined at the time its stripped ... Over time / mileage such as you have, some do wear in this way and often thats all thats needed to cure this - this raises the compressions to what they should be and all is well again.

I cant give you prices / costs for this work Im afraid - simply because all shops charge differently - so the best way is to call around and quotes for the work - and go with the best price...

Thats the way forward on this one now. Again - ask re the fault codes - and that can be dealt with then as -is -- but your main issue / concern at the present is the low compression situation - to be cured as above..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You said:"The compressions are a concern though - they are very low (apart from #5 at 140 - they should all be around there )

It is true yes that no one can say how long a situation would last like this - ie, the engine..before it gets un driveable.."

Does the PSI on cyl 6 and 7 make undriveable now? Other than the check engine light, should the problems be really noticeable which they were not? Also, it concerns me that the engine did not idle rough but when I got the car returned it did.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again -

Thank you for your reply..

It is honestly, difficult to say without being there to test drive and feel it --- It could be either to be very honest... ie, problems driving it now, either because of the check engine light ( and therefore whatever fault that pertains to... which you need the fault codes for )..and / or - the low compressions.

Really - even at that - with the compressions that you have, I would say it should drive ok - with that - and could last like that for a long long time... I suspect that the fault whatever it is, is down to the check engine light situation. Again, thats without testing it - but that would make sense...even from here.

As regards the idle - very difficult to say - but I suggest check it over - listen for any air / vacuum leaks when its idling - they could have disturbed a pipe / vacuum pipe etc - causing an intake air leak - that would cause the poor idle - and is often just an easy fix.

IF you cannot find anything like that though - give them a call and tel them it idled fine before they had it - so what have they done-- have them re look at it for you ... that should not cost you anything... Its impossible to know what the have done exactly - so that would be the best way forward on that Joek.

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.