Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Hyundai Santa Fe SE: Hi Neal I have the same question. I have

Hi Neal I have the same question. I have a 2008 Hyundai Sante fe with 3.3 v-6 engine. It was working fine and the computer always told me the miles per gallon were 18.5. I went to the gas station with almost no gas in car. I pumped 15 gallons of gas and drove away. I stopped two miles later. When I restarted the car it said I have 1/4 tank of gas and the engine light came on. I went to another gas station and could only add one more gallon of gas. I tightened the gas cap and drove hoping the float would unstick. It did not and I noticed the calculated gas miles per gallon went down to 14 then up to 15.7. When I drove home after 2 more miles the gas gauge said empty and the yellow light came on indicating gas low. The car is 5 years old with 49,000 miles. I am hoping I am under warranty and am thinking to bring it to dealer and get the diagnosis. What do you think.
Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

The fuel sender unit has failed from your description. As far as warranty, call dealer service department and give them your VIN and see if there is anything that will cover this repair. I do not see nothing in the TSB, which are not recalls, that extend the warranty.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Roy thanks for the answer, I have a follow up question. The dealer said warranty ended for fuel sender 60 months / 60,000 miles. The dealer said two different fuel senders and $90 each, one is in the fuel pump. He said .5 hours diagnosic and 2 hours labor to replace fuel sender. I did not believe 2 fuel senders, and 2.5 hours labor at $110 an hour total $275 sounded expensive. Any comments before I do the repair. I have to go to work. please respond quickly if possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I just had a follow up question if 2.5 hours labor at $110 per hour is excessive for the fuel sender replacement