Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Ford 500 brake and oil lights

Ford 500 brake and oil lights going on on the instrument console and the reverse lights staying on, regardless of my actual gear. My problem does not include my instrument gauges zeroing out. My car basically thinks it is in reverse, but only apparently on hot days.  Thank you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Did all of these problems occur at the same time or did these occur over an extended period of time all at separate times?

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue or anything done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes; all of the problems occur at the same time. I will hear a click from the instrument panel, the oil and brake lights on the instrument panel come on, and the car thinks it is in reverse (all of the other lights dim on the instrument panel and radio, the reverse lights go on, and the reverse proximity sensor begins to beep if something gets too close to the rear bumper). Then, I will hear another click and everything goes back to normal. The car spends about 60% of the time in the weird mode and 40% of the time in normal mode.

There were no recent repairs done that could have caused the issue. It started about eight months ago. I brought it to one mechanic and he had no idea what to do about it, so I left.

Thank you.

O.k.,from what you have described here looking at the wiring diagram info on this fault this may be an internal short in the smart junction block located under the dash on this vehicle or a relay like the reverse lamp relay or the VPWR relay which are located in this junction box.

I would have this box inspected to see if there is any electrical damage to it and if anything is found the wiring would need repaired at this box and the box may need replaced.

If the box appears o.k. and no wiring at fault I would try swapping out the reverse lamp relay and see if it corrects the fault and if not then the VPWR relay (this may be part of the junction box itself) and see if the fault is corrected.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete