Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

Chev Impala: I have a 2010 chev impla with 69766 kms. the gas

I have a 2010 chev impla with 69766 kms. the gas gauge has not worked properly since I purchased it. The fuel filter and sensor have been replaced twice under warranty. When I have a little over 1/2 tank of gas the gauge will drop to empty and will ping and say low fuel.

Why is this happening

Welcome Kathy,

This sounds more like its an instrument cluster intermittent short to the fuel gauge. We have seen a few of these that a soldered connection on the printed circuit inside the cluster is at fault.

Did the dealer mention anything about that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he didn't but that sounds like it might be the answer which I will take to my mechanic. thank you very much

Yes that should be looked at for sure. You can find them on ebay for about 100 bucks.

Please remember to rate my assistance today and just let me know if you have any further questions. If not, thanks for asking!