Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Isuzu Hombre: I have a 1996 Isuzu Hombre that was running fine

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Isuzu Hombre that was running fine for a couple of weeks after a major repair of timing chain, air idle control valve, injector orings, crank sensor, and spark plug an wire replacement. I went to town which is 20 miles away to shop at lowes anyway on the way back when I depress the clutch petal to change gears coming to a stop for a stop light the engine dies an I have to restart as long as I don't push the petal all the way to the floor it would not stall, is there a check to see if the starter switch on the clutch petal is bad or is this something else?
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) Sorry for the long delay.

2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

4) If you happened to leave off the year make and model and engine liter size or any stored trouble codes or anything you have done so far, please include that information in your next reply.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said already it is a 1996 isuzu hombre, it has a 2.2 liter engine with a manual tranny I haven't tried anything but checked electrical an vacuum connections on the engine

So if I understand correct, idling in neutral at home. You can press the clutch to the floor and the engine will die?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no while coming to a stoplight push clutch petal engine dies

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it has nothing to do with the manual trans, clutch nor pedal sensors. The engine rpm is dropping faster than the IAC valve can recover for. Usually in this case just getting the engine running its best will prevent this and allow the engine to recover. I suggest we run 2 bottles of STP in a tank of fuel then flog the intake with sea foam, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. See if the concern is still there after 50 miles of usage.