Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2002 dodge grand caravan sport: 2002 dodge grand caravan sport.

2002 dodge grand caravan sport. Problem, the right hand front brake caliper wont release. I have changed the caliper twice and the brake pads. It works for a hour or so them locks up. Ive changed the brake line too. and the master cylinder.What next.

Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

By the line, do you mean the brake hose??

Also, check the lr wheel. if the wheel cylinder is frozen it will build pressure in the front s the rf and lr wheels work together.

Roy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please simplify your answer for me. I did change the brake hose. What I think your saying is that the left rear wheel cylinder and the right front work together. Ok.

That is correct. sometimes a problem in one wheel originates in another wheel when it comes to brakes.

Roy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would abs have anything to do with this??Cry

no, the only way it would and this is way out there is that you never changed the fluid in the system, it is black in color and it seized a valve in the abs unit. Extremely rare as it would effect the rear wheel as well.

Roy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to keep asking, but I jacked the van up and the left hand rear wheel spins ok. Dos'nt seem to be locked up.

did you remove the wheel and inspect?? Make sure the wheel cylinder moves when you apply the brakes.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it does not more then what? Remove and replace it.

thats correct. replace it and flush the brake system till you have clean fluid in the lines. thats what causes these failures, the lack of changing the fluid.

replace it, check the other side as well.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I have check my rear brake cylinder. It is working. I bled the brakes . The front right was not froze up. I drove it for 20 minutes and then the right front brake caliper locked up and was smoking real bad. Now Im about to pull my hair out. TO recap what Ive done. I have replaced the left brake caliper and brake pads, I have replaced the right brake caliper twice along with the brake pads. I replaced both rear brakes cylinders. I replaced the master cylinder and the right front brake line. Im ready to replace the car next. !!

Did you bleed the brakes especially the right front to get clean fluid out???

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bled the rear brakes. Not the front. The fluid was clean.

My other concern is a clog in the brake line on the right front. pressure can go to the caliper but cannot return to the master.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i PUT A NEW BRAKE LINE IN.; and I changed the caliper again. It still locks up. Then after a while it is ok. I dont know. What about the abs unit?

It is possible but you would have a code for a solenoid being stuck closed.

Is there any play in the hub bearing for that side??

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no but the rear hub bearings have play and make noise. I ordered two new rear bearings and I will replace them soon.

good but i dont think it will help the right front wheel.

Wish I was there. it would be so much easier than doing this from here.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took it to a dealer. And the abs module under the hood was bad. I had it rep

wow, that must be expensive. did they replace with new or used??

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well they replaced it with a used one for 50 dollars. But today the Left and right locked up. But I drove it a little and it unlocked. Then It locked again. Now I have about 400 dollars invested and cant get nothing to work? PS I dont have good insurance !!

LOL. sorry to hear that. Did they flush the lines of all debris?? there could be dirt in the lines not allowing any return fluid up to the master.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I assume they did. Any suggestions. !!

One other thought. Unbolt the master cylinder and see if the piston on the rear of the cylinder is all the way out to the snap ring. if it does not return all the way it will be in and apply pressure to the wheels.

Just unbolt and move forward without removing the lines.

roy

roy