Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

sometimes my 93 newmar diesel will not even turnover when I

sometimes my 93 newmar diesel will not even turnover when I turn the ignition switch ? sometimes it will and start right up. should I have the ignition switch replaced ?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself or possibly the starter or starter solenoid causing this here.

What needs to be done from here is to have the electronic ignition switch signals tested as well as the starter solenoid to see if one of these components are found at fault.One quick check that may help here as it does in some cases is to have someone try and start the vehicle when it is acting up and another person tap on the starter to see if it turns over and starts then.If it does this indicates the starter is at fault needing replaced.This check here works in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

If it is the solenoid or starter, shouldn't there be a clicking sound also ? Also, is the solenoid located near the starter on this RV ? thanks, Mike

In most cases there would be a clicking noise but I have also seen where some solenoids would not click when they fail so I wouldn't rule this out as a problem.

Unfortunately my info on this doesn't list where the starter and solenoid are but usually you can tell if the solenoid is on the starter by looking at the starter to see if the solenoid is attached to it usually on top of the starter motor itself.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete