Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)

power steering clunking sound sounds when increasing speed

power steering clunking sound sounds when increasing speed from take off
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Is this clunk felt in the steering wheel itself or under the vehicle and has anything been checked over to try and locate the fault or replaced to try and correct it at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete a it is not felt in the steering wheel,when a mecahnc took it for a drive you hear an engaging sound after you increase speed from take off when first started from a low speed then increasing to a higher speed.The mechanic said that the type of steering has 2 engaging sytems where at a lower speed it increases more oil or fluid to make the steering easier then engages into the second stage when the car increases speed.You don't hear this sound when you are driving along even when it drops back to 1st gear,it is only when car fisrt takes off after being turned off. You hear this sound under the bonnet on the right hand side.He seems to think this is a normal sound for when it is changing stages,I'm just wondering if this is normal.I havehad the car for a month @ it is due for its 150,000 full service in another 7000km. ta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have a 2008 AH Holden Astra. My question was that I hear an engaging sound under the bonnet when the car first takes off after being turned on,this occurs in first to second gear @ only once the car has been turned off @ turned on again,it does not happen when reducing speed back to fist gear @ then proceeding forward.A mechanic to it for a drive @ said it is probably normal as this car has a power steering type that has 2 stages to it,1 for a low speed on take off to ensure easier steering then as speed increases it goes into the second stage.I'm just wondering if this is normal to hear the engaging sound. The car is due for i'ts 150000km service in another 7000kms.It has always had its regular service right on time according to service manual.I have had the car for a month. Asking again because I have not had a reply from Pete yet
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

Thank you for you reply. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello, my name is Rich & I'll try my best to help you today.

I ran into this once a couple of years ago so I have an odd Question:

Does anything electrical intermittently not work or act funny?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesnt seem to,the car runs fine ,I havent noticed .

Your technician is correct and there are 2 stages to the system.

As a vehicle ages the systems wear naturally and things are not as smooth/quiet/soft/hard as they were when new. (power steering pressure switch in this case)

Sensors start getting electrically "soft" reaching their tolerances so they are not as responsive as they use to be.

Valves & solenoids get partially plugged or don't extend their full travel distance. (Power steering pressure switch orifice opening)

Hoses expand increasing volume and decreasing pressure.(Your pump only produces 'x' pounds of pressure when idling and as it increases speed with engine rpm's, there is a MAX amount of pressure it produces)

Pumps wear and don't produce the pressure and/or volume that they used too.

To every vehicle, there is a wear factor that comes into play.

The scheduled maintenance is important and will help EXTEND the life of components but do not RESTORE them to "like new" condition.

What you are going to notice first as the system wears BEYOND tolerance is parking lot maneuvers, the steering will be harder to turn (But this is such a gradual process that 90% of people don't notice because they get use to it)

So in reply to your original question - your technician is probably correct and it is a normally wearing part.

He's "Johnny On The Spot" and has driven your car and compared it to others that he has driven over the years.

That fact that this only happens when Increasing rpm's, support this conclusion.

If there was a steering failure - it would most likely be "All The Time"

I hope this information helps you with your recently acquired vehicle.

Experience: 25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)