Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Had the weirdest thing happen

Had the weirdest thing happen today while driving my 2003 maxima se. I had heard some popping in the speakers when listening to the radio and then after a few minutes, i made a left turn and heard a loud pop and now my head unit doesn't play any sound either from tuner or CD. Though i do still hear the "boop" sound when i try to adjust the bass/treble, etc. I disconnected the amp and did not hear the boops anymore when adjusting bass/treble, so i'm thinking the amp is not the problem. Any thoughts? Also, for years i have been hearing what sounds like a sprocket rattle while cruising about 40mph and the rpm's around 1800. Is that a sprocket in the timing chain area?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Even though you don't hear this noise when disconnecting the amplifier the most common cause for this issue here that I have seen several times before in the past is the amplifier itself.If the radio and cd player are operating properly but you have no sound this can indicate the amplifier itself is at fault.

With this occurring when turning left you may have a shorted speaker or amplifier wire.If one of the sound wires shorts out to ground it can cut sound from the amplifier and cause this noise as well.I would inspect the wiring at and from the speakers and amplifiers to see if you find any shorted and if any are found they need corrected to correct this here.

As for the rattle noise you hear this may be an issue with the timing tensioner or one of the guides/shoes rattling.This would need to be inspected further to see if this is the case here.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it really be the amp if i still hear the beeps when i adjust bass/treble/balance/fader, etc? If the amp was truly bad, i would not expect to hear this.

Are these beeps coming from the audio speakers?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they are coming from the speakers.

O.k.,you are correct as if this was an amplifier fault or a shorted wire for the speakers usually you wouldn't have this sound here as well.

From what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault in the radio itself not sending the radio and cd player audio to the amplifier.I have seen the radio itself fail before and cause this type of issue here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete. But i was hoping for a bit more troubleshooting before arriving at this conclusion. For example what fuses and relays can I check. Should i put a volt meter to the amp wireharness to help me narrow down the source of the problem? I knew coming into this that it was either the headunit for the amp and as you can see from my original message, i was fairly certain it wasnt the amp. Much appreciate the help. Any way you can forward this onto Rick for his perspective given he has a long history with nissans and this may be a problem he's seen before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Pete,

Were you able to refer this question to Rick? I haven't heard back from anyone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
What fuses should I check, can I use a volt meter to test any components to narrow down the issue?
Hello and thank you for using

When you start the car do you still hear a pop from the speakers? I have seen where a speaker can short and cause no sound. Also let me know if the radio lights up and looks like it's working properly, just no sound.

I will get into the engine noise after we figure out the radio.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for responding Jay. No popping when i start the card. All radio lights work as do all functions - just no sound. The steering wheel controls work fine as well. The only function of the radio that is not working any longer is the RDS.

What i've done so far is unplug the harness from the amp that is undermounted to back deck in the trunk (my entire system is factory). When i reconnect the harness (when the radio is on), i hear a "THUMP" from the speakers, which i presume is normal and indicates the amp is working properly, but i could be wrong. I also hear the "beeps" through all speakers when i use the bass/treble/fader/balance controls....another reason i think the amp is not the problem. But again, i'm no expert.

First thing I would like to do is check fuses. Do you have a test light to check fuses? I want to double check the Radio Amp fuse. Then after that, we are going to need to inspect speakers and see if maybe a speaker is shorted causing the no sound.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont have a test light, but can easily get one. I have pulled a few fuses out and visually checked them. Is that good enough? I think i saw a reference to an 'amp relay' or a signal that is sent from the head unit to the amp. Can i check that at the same time i check the fuses?

That is a link to a image of the fuse locations I want you to check. They are under the hood by the battery. Please check those for me. I would like them checked with a test light if you could.

The Bose Amp is supplied power through the subwoffer. So that could be part of the issue.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I think I do have a test light at home. I will check tonight when i get home and let you know.

Ok, I will be online later this evening aound 7:30 EST till 10 or 11 pm so you know when to look for me.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so i couldn't find my test light so i used a volt meter.

56 measures 2v when there is no key in the ignition

67 measures about 9v when the key is in acc position, but zero when there is no key.

Keep in mind, I do hear the "beep" through the speakers when i adjust bass/treble/fader/balance, etc so i think the amp is working and if any speakers were shorted, i wouldn't hear the beeps. I just dont hear anything from tuner (AM or FM) or CD. have never used the tape deck.

Is that with the AMP plugged in? Car start ok correct?

If the amp was plugged in take fuse 67 reading again with it unplugged.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok with amp unplugged and key in acc position, 67 reads 9.86v (same as before).

If you put your meter on the battery, what do you get? I am expecting to see more voltage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Battery voltage is about 10.9v. That's definitely low.

Yeah, the battery is low.. Does the car start? Check you check the voltage on that fuse with the car running? I would like to see battery voltage on the fuse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Car starts right up. Battery voltage with car on = ~11.5v. 67 voltage with car on and amp unplugged also = ~11.5v

You know what.. You may need a alternator and that maybe why the speakers cut out.

With the car running you should have around 14.3 volts at the battery. What do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 11.5v with the car running.

hmmmm I just had a new alternator installed in 2010 and the battery in 2012.

If it's a after market alternator, they only last a year. I don't recommend them. When you get them from the dealer, those are the ones that last the longest.

Lets verify the alternator. Turn the AC on, Lights, and rear defroster, then take a voltage reading at the battery.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok with all of that on, voltage measures about 10.5v.

You need a alternator my friend. With all loads on, batter voltage should be no lower than 13.7 volts.

When system voltage gets low, componets are shut down and the power is redirected to keep the car running. So I would start with replacing the Alternator. If you still have issues after you replace the alternator, feel free to return and I will continue to help you.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jay. I'm taking my car into the shop for an oil change on Friday anyway, so i'll have them check the alternator. I'll let you know.

You got it. Feel free to let me know how you make out.

Oh, don't have him waste time looking into your stereo issue till the alternator is charging propelry if you were going to have him look at it.

Thanks for using

Talk to you soon. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wanted to give an update. Last weekend i removed the radio to see if i could see anything noticeably wrong such as a wire harness having come loose or something. Well, when i brought it inside and placed it on the kitchen table, I was able to immediately diagnose the problem. Apparently my 3 year old has gotten into my car and put my toll change (about $0.89) into the cassette opening in the radio. My guess is when i turned left and the speakers cut out, that the change rattling around in the system shorted something out (though I couldn't hear the change what the radio was mounted.

Time to look on ebay for a replacement. Thank you for all the help with this problem. I look forward to reminding my son and future grandkids about this for many many many years.

Wow, Kids do the Damnest things.. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen that.

May want to see if you can do a Radio Exchange with this dealer. They have a Radio Exchange program. May be worth looking into.

Also, I saw you gave the first Expert Pete the Rating? Did you mean to Rate him or Me?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, sorry, that rating was meant for you. Let me contact justanswer and see if they can fix.
No problem. I will let them know as well.

Thanks Jay!