Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

oldsmoble bravada: How do you open the hood if the hood latch

How do you open the hood if the hood latch cable doesn't work?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 10 months ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

you will need a long screw driver

tims auto repair :

you will need to go thorough the grill and push the latch that the cable connects to with the screwdriver .to pop the hood open

tims auto repair :

be careful not to damage the paint

tims auto repair :

if you have never done this,,you may want to have a mechanic to get it open for you

tims auto repair :

after you get it open,then you can replace the cable

tims auto repair :

Hood Primary Latch Release Cable Replacement

Removal Procedure

10_gc-1558.png
Full Size Image

1. Open and support the hood.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the windshield wiper washer reservoir.
4. Remove the screws securing the underhood fuse block in order to pull the unit away from the fender.
5. Remove the cruise control module.

Important: Block the hood latch in order to prevent the hood from locking until you have installed the hood latch release cable.

6. Disconnect the hood latch cable from the primary latch assembly.
Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clip and lift the cable assembly from the primary latch.
7. In order to aid in installation, tie a mechanic's wire to the end of the cable.

99_gc-608192.png
Full Size Image

8. Remove the clips that retain the hood release cable.
Pry open the clips with a flat-bladed tool.
9. Pull the cable back through the opening between the radiator support and the left fender.
10. Pull the cable back from behind the antilock brake module.

98_gc-608191.png
Full Size Image

11. Remove the body hinge trim panel.
12. Remove the park brake pedal assembly.
13. Remove the hood release cable grommet.
14. Remove the adhesive tape securing the release cable to the side of the cowl.
15. Remove the hood release cable and the lever bolts from the cowl side panel.
16. Remove the hood latch cable assembly from the vehicle.
Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

43_gc-594019.png
Full Size Image

1. Transfer the mechanics wire to the new cable.
2. Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.
3. Guide the cable along the left fender behind the antilock brake module, the underhood fuse block, and the windshield wiper/washer reservoir.
4. Route the cable around the end of the radiator support.

98_gc-608191.png
Full Size Image

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

5. Install the hood release cable and the lever bolts to the cowl side panel.

Tighten the hood release cable and the lever bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in).

6. Secure the release cable to the side of the cowl with adhesive tape.

99_gc-608192.png
Full Size Image

7. Install the hood release cable to the retaining clips.

86_gc-302984.png
Full Size Image

8. Install the hood release cable grommet.

10_gc-1558.png
Full Size Image

9. Install the hood latch cable to the latch.
10. Install the park brake pedal assembly.
11. Install the body hinge pillar trim panel.
12. Install the cruise control module.
13. Install the screws securing the underhood fuse block.
14. Install the windshield wiper/washer reservoir.
15. Connect the negative battery cable.
16. Inspect the hood latch release cable for proper operation.
17. Close the hood.

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Do you have any drawings that would show me what the cable connects to as well as the inside of the latch assembly? And where to position the screw driver. I have been able to get the hood release latch that you do by hand to work but the hood does not open. Some times the cable seems to be cathing but not completely enough to release the first latch.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the only sdrawing i have i have already sent

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

you need to push it at the latch where the cable connects

tims auto repair :

you may need a good flash light so you can see

tims auto repair :

as far as positioning the scew driver,,you will need to do it the best you can to get tov the latch

tims auto repair :

understand..it isnt suppose to open this way

tims auto repair :

but,,when the cable breaks you have no choice

tims auto repair :

be careful not to damage the pant

tims auto repair :

paint

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Ok:) my only problem to see that is the metal piece in front of it that the cable goes behind. Have a flashlight which was very helpful. Tried to see any bolts that are removable to get it out of the way but haven't yet seen any i can get to. Is it L shaped?

Customer:

Cable does not appear broken just not attached to anything

tims auto repair :

i would think it is broken

Customer:

Ok

tims auto repair :

still yest..you will need to get the hood open to see what is going on

Customer:

Thank you for your time

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.