Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Transmissions honda(BAXA: i have a 98 honda accord with 2.3L

i have a 98 honda accord with 2.3L automatic trans.(BAXA). i installed a used trans because the original one was burnt. this unit only has a 1-2 shift and wont shift after that. i had a code p1738 i cleared and didnt come right back i havent driven the vehicle just drove on lift
Good evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you tonight.

First, never clear the code till the freeze frame data is examined for the abnormal reading, repairs made and confirmed. then you clear the code.

1738 is the 2nd gear solenoid. If the solenoid is engaged all the time it may cause shifting up issues. Hopefully you have the old trans for these parts.

Below is the flow chart for the issue. Line 2 is what I was telling you about with freeze frame data.

Take a look and try the checks.

Hopefully the trans can be fixed or you may need another unit

Roy
DTC P1738: Problem in 2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit

NOTE: Record all freeze data before you troubleshoot.

Turn the ignition switchON (II).

Measure the voltage between the B14 and B20 or B22 terminals. Is there about battery voltage?
YES - Go to step 7.
NO - Go to step 3.
Turn the ignition switchOFF.
Disconnect PCM connector B (25P).
Disconnect the 2nd clutch pressure switch connector.

Check for continuity between the B14 terminal and body ground. Is there continuity?
YES - Repair short to ground in the wire between the B14 terminal and the 2nd clutch pressure switch.
NO - Check for loose terminal fit in the PCM connectors. If necessary, substitute a known-good PCM and recheck.
Raise the front of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.
Set the parking brake, and block rear wheels securely.
Start the engine, then shift to 2 position and drive for more than five seconds .

Measure the voltage between the B14 and B20 or B22 terminals. Is there about0 V ?
YES - Check for loose terminal fit in the PCM connectors. If necessary, substitute a known-good PCM and recheck.
NO - Go to step 11.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Measure the voltage between the 2nd clutch pressure switch connector terminal and body ground. Is there battery voltage?
YES - Go to step 15.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the 2nd clutch pressure switch and the PCM.

Measure the resistance between the 2nd clutch pressure switch connector terminal and body ground. Is the resistance 10 M ohms or more ?
NO - Replace the 2nd clutch pressure switch.
© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok got it. can u show me which ones are the switches and which solenoids are what and also pin ids so i could do that check you mentioned thank you

What I would do first is to ohm out the solenoids to be sure there are no open or shorts.

They are on the front side of the transmission and are set in pairs. Make sure the connections are good and solid and make sure the connections are clean.

Did you have any shifting issues with the old one?? If you did not, then wiring is not the issue, it is to do with the used unit.

Roy