Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

I have a mazda protege 98 one tail light stays on all the

I have a mazda protege 98' one tail light stays on all the time without any power the others do not come on at all including the turn signals. I replaced all the lamps including the lamp in the dash for the turn signals any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Looking at the diagram on this vehicle here if this is a tail light staying on and only one as well as the others not operating and the turn signals not operating this sounds like a short in the wiring harness itself.All of the tail lamps are tied together into one circuit so if this was a switch or relay at fault either all would stay on or none would work at all indicating that this sounds like a short in the wiring itself.

It is difficult to say for sure exactly where this short is located but I would trace the wiring harness from the light that is staying on all the way to where it runs up front in the vehicle and see if you locate any cut/damaged or melted wiring.If any is found the wiring needs repaired and if the wiring was sitting next to a hot component like the exhaust it would need relocated to correct this from occurring again.

If this is not the case here with this issue let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I did not find a short, I also replaced the turn signal arm. No luck there either.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Did the turn signal arm come complete with the turn signal switch assembly?

Was all light wiring checked over?

Let me know,thanks Pete