K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

toyota pickup: I have a 1988 Toyota pickup with a 22re engine.

I have a 1988 Toyota pickup with a 22re engine. The truck runs ok after getting it started but when I turn it off and let it set overnight, it cranks forever before starting again. Seems like the fuel pressure is not staying constant as if the fuel is draining back. After cranking for a while the fuel begins to flow again
Hello, on this system there is no check valve in the fuel lines. It relies on the fuel in the carburetor bowl to run the engine long enough for the fuel pump to prime and supply fuel. More than likely during the night the needle and seat in the carburetor is allowing fuel to pass out of the carburetor. This results in no fuel in the bowl and extended cranking time. My suggestion would be to rebuild the carburetor, preferably with a kit that has an alcohol resistant needle valve. Todays 10% ethanol fuels tend to wear them out.