Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

suzuki XL7: I have a 2008 XL7. When I turn the key, there

Customer Question

I have a 2008 XL7. When I turn the key, there is no starter sound, engine doesn't turn over. All dashboard lights, headlights, radio, etc work fine when the key is turned. Tried to jump start with the same result. What should I check?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
HelloSir or Madam and thank you for your question!
Is this an automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Automatic

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the info.
Typically if you don't even hear the starter relay or solenoid click, it indicates the neutral safety switch is to blame. This makes the connection between the key and the starter. If you have a test light we can do some testing to be sure it's the problem, but also, you may try taking it out of park, attempt to start in neutral, then again back in park.
If you would like to try that and let me know about a test light that is the first place to start.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a test light.

I put it in neutral, tried to start, nothing. No starter sound

Put it back in park and tried again, still nothing

All dash lights still come on

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, without a test light to check the circuit there isn't a lot we can do, one thing you can do is check the starter fuse in the fuse box under the hood. This is a 15 amp fuse and it should be labeled as the start fuse. If this fuse is blown then there will not be any power happening to the starter relay. Take a look and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the fuses. The one labeled "starter" is a 40a fuse in slot number 15, not a 15a fuse. It looks OK. I took a quick look at the other fuses and didn't see one blown. I have a multimeter, is there anything we can do with that?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I do apologize for the confusion on the fuse. The wiring diagram is a little bit rough here.
What you can do with the volt meter is test to see if the 40 amp fuse has power at both sides, then check the crank relay for power on 2 slots with the key in the start position.
Pull the relay, but check there should be power on 2 of the slots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume you mean to check voltage at the fuse while trying to start the car?
Where is the "crank relay"? Check that while trying to start?

If I need to turn the key all the way to the "crank" position, we'll have to wait a while. I'm home alone right now.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
The relay should be in the same box as the fuse according to the wiring diagram
i am looking at.
As for the fuse, it should have power on both sides without the key being in the "start" position so I think you can test that on your own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

12v on the ignition relay with the key off

No voltage at the fuse with the key in any position

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, The wiring diagram is showing this fuse as getting power directly from the battery. Can you check fuse #39 in the same box with the key in any position and let me know please?
Thanks,
Sorry this is taking so long to diagnose, but I think we should be able to get it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fuse #39, labeled "fuel pump", has no voltage with the key off or on.

Did you get my message that I do have a voltage test light pen?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry for the delay.
Check if you can the red wire off the battery, I am not sure if there is a fusible link on this red wire,the diagram doesn't show this, but it is powering up the main box. From what I am seeing here this wire must be broken and that is why there is not any power.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the red wire from the battery to the fuse box appears to be intact, no corroded connections and no fusible link that I could see.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Is there just the one large wire going to the fuse box? Like I said, can't tell so much by the wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes one large wire

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you have voltage at that wire and nothing at the fuses then there has to be some type of issue going on with the fuse box itself.
Your volt meter should show you battery votage on the wire and then battery voltage on the fuses. Since there is no fusible responsible for that then I can only assume the problem is in the box. You may also want to look at all of the fusible links in that box as possible culprits because I can't see them all in the wiring diagram.